Old 03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Default VNC viewer blank screen

Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Vijay Shanker Dubey

<vijay.shad@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I have configured vnc on my centos server machine. But, unable to access the

> vnc client. When ever i try to access my client. All I get is a blank screen

> with only mouse working.

> I am very clue less about the problem, Can I find out this error.

Most likely you do not have a window manager configured in your

~/vnc/xstartup file. *Mine, for example, looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup

[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

xsetroot -solid grey

vncconfig -iconic &

startxfce4 &

My version of xtartup file is---#!/bin/sh (-)# Add the following line to ensure you always have an xterm available.( while true ; do xterm ; done ) &

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:unset SESSION_MANAGERexec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

xsetroot -solid greyvncconfig -iconic &xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &twm &---*
I got this script form this tutorial on the cetos site. Do you see any error in this.

The last line starts up my window manager and desktop.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Les Mikesell

On 3/11/2010 10:43 AM, Vijay Shanker Dubey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have configured vnc on my centos server machine. But, unable to access
> the vnc client. When ever i try to access my client. All I get is a
> blank screen with only mouse working.
>
> I am very clue less about the problem, Can I find out this error.

Have you tried freenx and either nxclient or the NX clients you can
download from http://www.nomachine.com for linux/windows/mac? It is
really much nicer than vnc for remote access.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Vijay Shanker Dubey
<vijay.shad@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> unset SESSION_MANAGER
> exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
> [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> xsetroot -solid grey
> vncconfig -iconic &
> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> twm &
> ---
> I got this script form this tutorial on the cetos site. Do you see any error
> in this.

Nothing apparent, but check that the twm manager is available. On the
server, what is the result of:

which twm

Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Vijay Shanker Dubey

<vijay.shad@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> unset SESSION_MANAGER

> exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

> [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup

> [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

> xsetroot -solid grey

> vncconfig -iconic &

> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &

> twm &

> ---

> I got this script form this tutorial on the cetos site. Do you see any error

> in this.

Nothing apparent, but check that the twm manager is available. On the

server, what is the result of:

* which twm
*---*/usr/bin/twm*---

Old 03-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Kwan Lowe

There appears to be a typo in your xstartup script:

> #!/bin/sh (-)

That should just be:
#!/bin/sh

Old 03-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe@gmail.com> wrote:

There appears to be a typo in your xstartup script:

> #!/bin/sh (-)

That should just be:

*#!/bin/sh

Yes sir you got me. Thank you