Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Slack-Moehrle

Default RAID 5 on Install?

Hi All,

I cannot seem to find a resource that will allow me to RAID5 3 x 1tb drives on system install. Can this be done?

-jason

Old 03-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Tim Shubitz

On Mar 10, 2010, at 6:37 PM, Slack-Moehrle wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I cannot seem to find a resource that will allow me to RAID5 3 x 1tb drives on system install. Can this be done?

Check this thread

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2010-February/090830.html

- tim_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Gé Weijers

This can be done. You cannot boot from a software RAID5 device, however.

I'd do something like this:

on each drive, create a 'small' (256MB or so) primary partition
(/dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, and /dev/sdc1), and set the type to

"Software RAID".

Also create a second partition on each drive that takes up the rest of
the space, and also set it to "Software RAID".

Now create two RAID devices:

Combine /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sbc1 into a >>RAID1<< device, and
format it as a ext3 partition mounted as /boot. (Grub can boot from a
RAID1 device, but not from any other software RAID)

Combine /dev/sda2, /dev/sdb2, and /dev/sdc2 into a >>RAID5<< device, and
set it up as an LVM PV.

Now create an LVM logical volume, and add your swap, root and any other
file systems you want to it.

That should do it.