FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM
 
Default An odd IPMI problem

Well, we're figure the board's got problems, but I installed OpenIPMI a
couple weeks ago, and fired it up as a service, then added a cron job.
That all ran well until last evening; we came in to find 5 zillion emails
complaining
Unable to open SDR for reading

I worked my way through logs, and googling, and then trying to run
ipmitool by hand, and it complains there's no such device as
/dev/ipmi[three versions].

More googling, and down to modprobe, then insmod, of ipmi_si. Then trying
to give it parameters, and it continually comes back (after 5 min of
trying) with "No such device".

One thing I note: after I found the docs for IPMI, I found the list of
parms <http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/IPMI.txt>, and gave
it, among other things, the slave_attrs. Then I look at dmesg and
/var/log/messages... and it seems to be utterly ignoring that parm. That
is, I say (and get)
$ insmod
/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.11.1.el5/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko
ports=0xca2 slave_addrs=0x10
insmod: error inserting
'/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.11.1.el5/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko': -1
No such device

and in the log
Mar 10 11:24:36 south kernel: IPMI System Interface driver.
Mar 10 11:24:36 south kernel: ipmi_si: Trying hardcoded-specified kcs
state machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x0, irq 0
Mar 10 11:26:28 south kernel: ipmi_si: There appears to be no BMC at this
location
Mar 10 11:26:28 south kernel: ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified kcs state
machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
Mar 10 11:28:20 south kernel: ipmi_si: There appears to be no BMC at this
location
Mar 10 11:30:12 south kernel: ipmi_si: Unable to find any System Interface(s)

Notice that it's looking at slave_addrs of 0x0 and 0x20, *not* 0x10.

Any clues?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl
 
Default An odd IPMI problem

M.roth@5-cent.us wrote on Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:51:49 -0500:

> Any clues?

Make sure the BMC didn't die. (Yes, this happens.)

Kai

--
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Peter Kjellstrom
 
Default An odd IPMI problem

On Wednesday 10 March 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
...
> $ insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.11.1.el5/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko
> ports=0xca2 slave_addrs=0x10
> insmod: error inserting
> '/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.11.1.el5/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko': -1
> No such device
>
> and in the log
> Mar 10 11:24:36 south kernel: IPMI System Interface driver.
> Mar 10 11:24:36 south kernel: ipmi_si: Trying hardcoded-specified kcs
> state machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x0, irq 0
> Mar 10 11:26:28 south kernel: ipmi_si: There appears to be no BMC at this
> location
> Mar 10 11:26:28 south kernel: ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified kcs state
> machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
> Mar 10 11:28:20 south kernel: ipmi_si: There appears to be no BMC at this
> location
> Mar 10 11:30:12 south kernel: ipmi_si: Unable to find any System
> Interface(s)

Seems to me that the IPMI driver can't find the IPMI hardware. What kind of
server are you trying this on? Is it known to work with the IPMI-driver in
vanilla CentOS-5.4?

/Peter

> Notice that it's looking at slave_addrs of 0x0 and 0x20, *not* 0x10.
>
> Any clues?
>
> mark
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM
mark
 
Default An odd IPMI problem

Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> ...
>> $ insmod
>> /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.11.1.el5/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko
>> ports=0xca2 slave_addrs=0x10
>> insmod: error inserting
>> '/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.11.1.el5/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko': -1
>> No such device
>>
>> and in the log
>> Mar 10 11:24:36 south kernel: IPMI System Interface driver.
>> Mar 10 11:24:36 south kernel: ipmi_si: Trying hardcoded-specified kcs
>> state machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x0, irq 0
>> Mar 10 11:26:28 south kernel: ipmi_si: There appears to be no BMC at this
>> location
>> Mar 10 11:26:28 south kernel: ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified kcs state
>> machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
>> Mar 10 11:28:20 south kernel: ipmi_si: There appears to be no BMC at this
>> location
>> Mar 10 11:30:12 south kernel: ipmi_si: Unable to find any System
>> Interface(s)
>
> Seems to me that the IPMI driver can't find the IPMI hardware. What kind of
> server are you trying this on? Is it known to work with the IPMI-driver in
> vanilla CentOS-5.4?
<snip>
You seem to have missed the beginning of my original post, where I said that it
had been running fine for 10 days, then *stopped* working. The server's still
up, though I haven't been into the data center to see if the idiot red led
"fault light" is blinking on (and that has no blink code, just "there's a
problem" is what the docs say).

mark

mark
--
The new existentialist cereal: Raisin D'Etre - Prairie Home Companion joke show
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Peter Kjellstrom
 
Default An odd IPMI problem

On Thursday 11 March 2010, mark wrote:
> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
...
> > Seems to me that the IPMI driver can't find the IPMI hardware. What kind
> > of server are you trying this on? Is it known to work with the
> > IPMI-driver in vanilla CentOS-5.4?
>
> <snip>
> You seem to have missed the beginning of my original post, where I said
> that it had been running fine for 10 days, then *stopped* working.

Ooops, indeed, sorry for that :-)

That leaves, at least, two possibilities 1) the BMC is flaky (power cycle
machine or maybe even replace the BMC) 2) kernel driver messed up.

If it's the driver then, assuming you havn't already, try to unload the ipmi
stuff. Essentially "lsmod | grep ipmi" and the rmmod those. A "service ipmi
restart" should probably automate this for you.

Since you're focusing on the "in system" approach I assume you lack an
ethernet connection to the BMC? ...if not try to reach it that way.

/Peter

> The
> server's still up, though I haven't been into the data center to see if the
> idiot red led "fault light" is blinking on (and that has no blink code,
> just "there's a problem" is what the docs say).
>
> mark
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:44 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org