Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Todd Cary

Default Help with Ruby on Rails setup using Centos 4

Before asking questions about Ruby on Rails setup on CentOS 4, I want to
make sure that this forum is the proper place for those questions.

Are there any members who can help?

Many thanks...

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.toddcary.com/aristephotography/

Old 03-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 07:31 -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> Before asking questions about Ruby on Rails setup on CentOS 4, I want to
> make sure that this forum is the proper place for those questions.
>
> Are there any members who can help?
>
> Many thanks...
----
I think you are going to have a difficult time and I think you will have
to compile ruby from source because CentOS 4 has a very ancient version.
It can be done though.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:23 PM

> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 07:31 -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
>> Before asking questions about Ruby on Rails setup on CentOS 4, I want to
>> make sure that this forum is the proper place for those questions.
>>
>> Are there any members who can help?
>>
>> Many thanks...
> ----
> I think you are going to have a difficult time and I think you will have
> to compile ruby from source because CentOS 4 has a very ancient version.
> It can be done though.

Note that 5.4 is the current release of CentOS.

mark

Old 03-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 11:23 -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 07:31 -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> >> Before asking questions about Ruby on Rails setup on CentOS 4, I want to
> >> make sure that this forum is the proper place for those questions.
> >>
> >> Are there any members who can help?
> >>
> >> Many thanks...
> > ----
> > I think you are going to have a difficult time and I think you will have
> > to compile ruby from source because CentOS 4 has a very ancient version.
> > It can be done though.
>
> Note that 5.4 is the current release of CentOS.
----
ignoring that CentOS 4.8 is also a current release then I suppose what
you say is true.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Agile Aspect

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> Before asking questions about Ruby on Rails setup on CentOS 4, I want to
> make sure that this forum is the proper place for those questions.

Go to

http://rubyonrails.org

and download the source for the recommend version of ruby to use with rails.

It's trivial to build - it builds on both CentOS 3 and CentOS 4.

I don't know anything about rails but to install it you simply type

gem install rails

> Are there any members who can help?

Talk to the members at

http://rubyonrails.org

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Todd Cary

I have Ruby 2.3.5.8 on my CentOS box with Gems 1.3.4, however I am
getting some errors that I do not understand. I am absolutely new to
RoR, but I do not want to take up anyone's time on this site if this is
an incorrect place to ask RoR questions.

Todd

P.S. I have some questions about upgrading to CentOS 5, but I'll start
another thread for that.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 09:53 -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> I have Ruby 2.3.5.8 on my CentOS box with Gems 1.3.4, however I am
> getting some errors that I do not understand. I am absolutely new to
> RoR, but I do not want to take up anyone's time on this site if this is
> an incorrect place to ask RoR questions.
>
> Todd
>
> P.S. I have some questions about upgrading to CentOS 5, but I'll start
> another thread for that.
----
It would be impossible to have ruby 2.3.5.8 on any computer since the
'current' (stable) version is 1.8.7 and the 'development' (unstable) is
1.9.1

CentOS 4 has something like version 1.8.1-7 which really isn't rails
suitable (you need AT LEAST 1.8.4 and you can passably use 1.8.5 like on
CentOS 5).

I think your questions are in the realm of CentOS thus far but questions
that are specific to RoR applications are probably not and probably
better handled on RoR list.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:29 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Wed, March 10, 2010 10:31, Todd Cary wrote:
> Before asking questions about Ruby on Rails setup on CentOS 4, I
> want to make sure that this forum is the proper place for those
> questions.
>
> Are there any members who can help?

You must update Ruby first. You can obtain ruby-1.8.5 for CentOS-4
from the centos-testing repo. Once you have that then you can
install the latest Gem manager from rubygems.org. Once Gem is
up-to-date installing Rails should be simple.

However, be advised that some gems do require at least Ruby 1.8.6.
Rails does not but be aware that other things that you may wish to
use with Rails might choke on 1.8.5

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Todd Cary

Craig -

I may have made a typo. I have

Rails: 2.3.5.8
Ruby: 1.8.5
Gems: 1.3.4
SQLite: 3.3.6
MySQL: 4.1.22

So, theoretically, I should be OK.

Todd

Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Wed, March 10, 2010 13:39, Todd Cary wrote:
> James -
>
> I made a typo...see my post to Craig. And here is the error, so
> maybe that gives you some salient info:
>
> [todd@centos4 hello]$ ruby script/server
> => Booting WEBrick
> => Rails 2.3.5 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
> => Call with -d to detach
> => Ctrl-C to shutdown server
> [2010-03-10 06:26:48] INFO WEBrick 1.3.1
> [2010-03-10 06:26:48] INFO ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i386-linux]
> [2010-03-10 06:26:48] INFO WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=20336
> port=3000
> /! FAILSAFE /! Wed Mar 10 06:27:24 -0800 2010
> no such file to load -- sqlite3
> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
> `gem_original_require'
> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
> `require'

Do you have the sqlite3 (not sqlite) gem installed?