Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/339190-freenx-forward-audio-server-client.html)

Niki Kovacs 03-10-2010 11:11 AM

FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ?
 
Hi,

I setup a FreeNX server with a GNOME desktop, and I can access it from a
client with the NoMachine client. Everything is running fine, and now I
only have two problems left : audio and printing forwarding. I'll follow
the "only-slay-one-dragon-at-a-time" rule and take care of audio first.

Did anyone manage to forward sound with FreeNX ? Here, server and client
are using CentOS. And yes, I did check the little "enable multimedia"
checkbox on the client, but to no avail. Whenever I play a sound in the
client session, it comes out on the server speakers.

Any suggestions ?

Niki
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Scot P. Floess" 03-10-2010 01:32 PM

FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ?
 
I've had bad luck myself with sound - but using NoMachine... And, for me
it only seems to work where sound is played for a Windows client machine
to a NoMachine CentOS server. The only sound I can get is using XMMS...
If I start a web browser (like Firefox), I do not hear anything if I go to
Youtube or the like...

I'd love to know how to get sound working as well :)


On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I setup a FreeNX server with a GNOME desktop, and I can access it from a
> client with the NoMachine client. Everything is running fine, and now I
> only have two problems left : audio and printing forwarding. I'll follow
> the "only-slay-one-dragon-at-a-time" rule and take care of audio first.
>
> Did anyone manage to forward sound with FreeNX ? Here, server and client
> are using CentOS. And yes, I did check the little "enable multimedia"
> checkbox on the client, but to no avail. Whenever I play a sound in the
> client session, it comes out on the server speakers.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Niki
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

--
Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect JavaPIM http://sourceforge.net/projects/javapim

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Niki Kovacs 03-10-2010 02:07 PM

FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ?
 
Scot P. Floess a écrit :
> I've had bad luck myself with sound - but using NoMachine... And, for me
> it only seems to work where sound is played for a Windows client machine
> to a NoMachine CentOS server. The only sound I can get is using XMMS...
> If I start a web browser (like Firefox), I do not hear anything if I go to
> Youtube or the like...
>
> I'd love to know how to get sound working as well :)

I just managed to get it working. In GNOME, you have to select ESD
instead of ALSA, then it works. And on the client sound, select the
Enable Multimedia checkbox.

Cheers,

Niki
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Scot P. Floess" 03-10-2010 02:19 PM

FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ?
 
So, I was trying all this in KDE... From KMix, it shows that there are no
sound cards at all... I think I tried system-config-soundcard - but that
didn't work. Also, if I remember correctly I get an error in KDE about no
sound card present...


On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Niki Kovacs wrote:


Scot P. Floess a écrit :

I've had bad luck myself with sound - but using NoMachine... And, for me
it only seems to work where sound is played for a Windows client machine
to a NoMachine CentOS server. The only sound I can get is using XMMS...
If I start a web browser (like Firefox), I do not hear anything if I go to
Youtube or the like...

I'd love to know how to get sound working as well :)


I just managed to get it working. In GNOME, you have to select ESD
instead of ALSA, then it works. And on the client sound, select the
Enable Multimedia checkbox.

Cheers,

Niki
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



--
Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect JavaPIM http://sourceforge.net/projects/javapim

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros_____________________________________________ __
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Niki Kovacs 03-10-2010 05:24 PM

FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ?
 
Scot P. Floess a écrit :
>
> So, I was trying all this in KDE... From KMix, it shows that there are
> no sound cards at all... I think I tried system-config-soundcard - but
> that didn't work. Also, if I remember correctly I get an error in KDE
> about no sound card present...

No sound on the server means no sound on the client either,
unfortunately :o)

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Scot P. Floess" 03-10-2010 06:56 PM

FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ?
 
So, this machine does have a sound card (not sure that matters). I used a
different machine (no sound card) and was able to use XMMS and KDE - but
not anything emitted from a Web browser.


Again, the CentOS machine does have a sound card - so sound works
locally - but not over NoMachine.


On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Niki Kovacs wrote:


Scot P. Floess a écrit :


So, I was trying all this in KDE... From KMix, it shows that there are
no sound cards at all... I think I tried system-config-soundcard - but
that didn't work. Also, if I remember correctly I get an error in KDE
about no sound card present...


No sound on the server means no sound on the client either,
unfortunately :o)

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



--
Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect JavaPIM http://sourceforge.net/projects/javapim

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros_____________________________________________ __
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Scot P. Floess" 03-10-2010 07:21 PM

FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ?
 
I should say that the KDE machine - was running Fedora 12 with no sound
card whatsoever. Again, XMMS worked from the Fedora box back to a Windoze
NoMachine client. It didn't work to a Linux client (Fedora nor CentOS)
that did have a sound card.


In both cases, the client machine didn't work when a web browser was
involved - for example watching Youtube videos.


On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Scot P. Floess wrote:



So, this machine does have a sound card (not sure that matters). I used a
different machine (no sound card) and was able to use XMMS and KDE - but not
anything emitted from a Web browser.


Again, the CentOS machine does have a sound card - so sound works locally -
but not over NoMachine.


On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Niki Kovacs wrote:


Scot P. Floess a écrit :
>
> So, I was trying all this in KDE... From KMix, it shows that there are

> no sound cards at all... I think I tried system-config-soundcard - but
> that didn't work. Also, if I remember correctly I get an error in KDE
> about no sound card present...

No sound on the server means no sound on the client either,
unfortunately :o)

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos






--
Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect JavaPIM http://sourceforge.net/projects/javapim

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros_____________________________________________ __
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Ross Walker 03-10-2010 10:55 PM

FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ?
 
On Mar 10, 2010, at 3:21 PM, "Scot P. Floess" <sfloess@nc.rr.com> wrote:

>
> I should say that the KDE machine - was running Fedora 12 with no
> sound card whatsoever. Again, XMMS worked from the Fedora box back
> to a Windoze NoMachine client. It didn't work to a Linux client
> (Fedora nor CentOS) that did have a sound card.
>
> In both cases, the client machine didn't work when a web browser was
> involved - for example watching Youtube videos.

You don't need a soundcard on the server if setup with a dummy ALSA
device.

You do need ESD or pulseaudio setup properly on the server/client as
well I believe for NX to work.

Why Flash doesn't come over by default is because it uses OSS instead
of ALSA, so in order to get that working you need the ALSA OSS
emulator installed on the server.

Don't ask me how to do it, I am trying to forget even having tried it
and when it was working quality was terrible and control was touchy.

Your definitely better using Fedora for the server here as sound
support in CentOS stinks, but then again I don't use it for sound and
video support.

Google Flash and ALSA and prepare to go down a rat hole on this.

-Ross


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.