Old 03-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Niki Kovacs

Default Filter web content in a LAN ?

Hi,

I installed a network of five desktops in a small town hall, all running
CentOS 5.4. The machines are publicly, and the mayor asked me to find
some solution to effectively filter web content, as the kids' first
reflex is to visit the interesting bits of the Internet first, from
satanism to porn.

One of the machines will be set up as a router anyway, since the public
computer room gets its internet access from the town hall, and I've
decided to make another subnet for it.

Any recommendations for that?

Niki

Old 03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Greg Bailey

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a network of five desktops in a small town hall, all running
> CentOS 5.4. The machines are publicly, and the mayor asked me to find
> some solution to effectively filter web content, as the kids' first
> reflex is to visit the interesting bits of the Internet first, from
> satanism to porn.
>
> One of the machines will be set up as a router anyway, since the public
> computer room gets its internet access from the town hall, and I've
> decided to make another subnet for it.
>
> Any recommendations for that?
>
> Niki

I have DansGuardian set up on my home Linux server that acts as the
router for our home network, and it does a great job of web filtering on
the fly. (I have grade school kids at home). You basically configure a
transparent proxy so all HTTP traffic is filtered, and it's configurable
as to what categories you want to allow or block. I use RPMs available
from RPMForge.

http://dansguardian.org/
http://packages.sw.be/dansguardian/

-Greg

Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Frank Cox

http://www.squidguard.org/

Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 PM

> Hi,
>
> I installed a network of five desktops in a small town hall, all running
> CentOS 5.4. The machines are publicly, and the mayor asked me to find
> some solution to effectively filter web content, as the kids' first
> reflex is to visit the interesting bits of the Internet first, from
> satanism to porn.

Satanism? What, you're going to filter all religion?

You could set up the browsers with filters - even google has "safe
search", and you could set the browser options to be read-only, so no user
can change it.

> One of the machines will be set up as a router anyway, since the public
> computer room gets its internet access from the town hall, and I've
> decided to make another subnet for it.
>
> Any recommendations for that?

Sorry, haven't been involved with filtering.

For that matter, is this *only* for children? If not, then the mayor is
depriving the adult users of their rights of free speech (assuming this is
in the US).

mark

Old 03-09-2010, 03:51 PM
JohnS

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 11:31 -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> For that matter, is this *only* for children? If not, then the mayor is
> depriving the adult users of their rights of free speech (assuming this is
> in the US).
>
> mark
---
Well well, you see in my type of IT I work in you Sign Away those First
Amendment Rights before you even go to work for said company that I work
for. I live in the US and Work in the US. Matter of fact our email
policy is for internal use only and for work purposes only and logged
for to and from destinations. People have been fired because of this.

John

Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Niki Kovacs

m.roth@5-cent.us a écrit :

> Satanism? What, you're going to filter all religion?

Let's say www.rotten.com is still a favourite among the local
youngsters. Not exactly family-friendly. (When I was that age, long
before the Internet became popular, we only had "Faces Of Death" on VHS D)

> For that matter, is this *only* for children? If not, then the mayor is
> depriving the adult users of their rights of free speech (assuming this is
> in the US).

No, I'm in South France, and the only people complaining about free
speech are the odd negationists, skinheads and other various nazi folks.

The computer room is a public commodity for everyone. So even if an
adult person is using the computer to peruse www.cumshotfiesta.com or
the likes, this would probably incommodate other town hall visitors with
children.

But I've done some research on my own in the meanwhile, I already have
Squid running on one of my test boxes, and I think Squidguard will do
the job.

Cheers from the snowy South of France,

Niki

Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 PM

> m.roth@5-cent.us a écrit :
>>
>> Satanism? What, you're going to filter all religion?
>
> Let's say www.rotten.com is still a favourite among the local
> youngsters. Not exactly family-friendly. (When I was that age, long
> before the Internet became popular, we only had "Faces Of Death" on VHS
> D)

True. But then, here in the US, varieties of Paganism are equated with
Satanism by the extremist fundamentalist Christians, and they'd want them
blocked (and before you think I'm exaggerating, let me note that a month
or so ago, the US Air Force Academy dedicated a small ring on its grounds
for Pagans... and within a couple of days, it was vandalized by "good
Christians". So, being from France, I'd expect you to understand
anti-clericalism. <g>

>> For that matter, is this *only* for children? If not, then the mayor is
>> depriving the adult users of their rights of free speech (assuming this
>> is in the US).
>
> No, I'm in South France, and the only people complaining about free
> speech are the odd negationists, skinheads and other various nazi folks.

*sigh* Yeah. They pull that here, too, and then complain if the other side
gets a word in.

> The computer room is a public commodity for everyone. So even if an
> adult person is using the computer to peruse www.cumshotfiesta.com or
> the likes, this would probably incommodate other town hall visitors with
> children.

I can see that. That kind of filtering is pretty standard in US libraries;
unfortunately, they're almost exclusively Windows....

> But I've done some research on my own in the meanwhile, I already have
> Squid running on one of my test boxes, and I think Squidguard will do
> the job.

Good deal.

> Cheers from the snowy South of France,

Back at you from sunny Washington, DC, USA

mark

Old 03-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Niki Kovacs

m.roth@5-cent.us a écrit :

> True. But then, here in the US, varieties of Paganism are equated with
> Satanism by the extremist fundamentalist Christians, and they'd want them
> blocked (and before you think I'm exaggerating, let me note that a month
> or so ago, the US Air Force Academy dedicated a small ring on its grounds
> for Pagans... and within a couple of days, it was vandalized by "good
> Christians". So, being from France, I'd expect you to understand
> anti-clericalism. <g>

My little town has a population of 900 or so, and from what I see, there
are only two religions here : the local football team Olympique de
Marseille, and the monthly bull chase through the streets.

I'll make sure to put the relevant websites on my filtering proxy's
whitelist )

Niki

Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Les Mikesell

On 3/9/2010 11:44 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> The computer room is a public commodity for everyone. So even if an
> adult person is using the computer to peruse www.cumshotfiesta.com or
> the likes, this would probably incommodate other town hall visitors with
> children.
>
> But I've done some research on my own in the meanwhile, I already have
> Squid running on one of my test boxes, and I think Squidguard will do
> the job.

I think squidguard just blocks known-bad URLs. There's also
http://dansguardian.org/?page=whatisdg for content filtering.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com