-   -   5.4 and tomcat5 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/338602-5-4-tomcat5.html)

03-09-2010 02:08 PM

5.4 and tomcat5

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>> I set up a 5.4 server with tomcat5
>> All standard packages from CentOS repo
>> I can not seem to access the tomcat manager from a remote host
>> I can access the tomcat admin remotely
>> I have a manager role and user defined in tomcat-users.xml
>> Attempting to access the manager gets me
>>
>> HTTP Status 403 - Access to the requested resource has been denied
> <snip>
> Sounds like a firewall issue to me, but I'd check the logfiles.
>
> mark

No firewall running

# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

The are no errors in catalina.out
Also I have a CentOS 5.4 runnig tomcat6 downloaded from apache
I have no problem remotely accessing manager
We also have other Linux runnig tomcat from packages and they have no
problem accessing the manager remotely
It "appears" to be particular to the CentOS package
I do not know enough about tomcat to fix this package

Richard

Les Mikesell 03-09-2010 02:44 PM

5.4 and tomcat5

On 3/9/2010 9:08 AM, rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>
>>> I set up a 5.4 server with tomcat5
>>> All standard packages from CentOS repo
>>> I can not seem to access the tomcat manager from a remote host
>>> I can access the tomcat admin remotely
>>> I have a manager role and user defined in tomcat-users.xml
>>> Attempting to access the manager gets me
>>>
>>> HTTP Status 403 - Access to the requested resource has been denied
>> <snip>
>> Sounds like a firewall issue to me, but I'd check the logfiles.
>>
>> mark
>>

> No firewall running
>
> # iptables -L
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> target prot opt source destination
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> target prot opt source destination
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> target prot opt source destination
>
> The are no errors in catalina.out
> Also I have a CentOS 5.4 runnig tomcat6 downloaded from apache
> I have no problem remotely accessing manager
> We also have other Linux runnig tomcat from packages and they have no
> problem accessing the manager remotely
> It "appears" to be particular to the CentOS package
> I do not know enough about tomcat to fix this package

A 403 response means you reached the web server network-wise but the
server is denying access because it is configured to restrict clients
and you haven't authenticated correctly.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

03-09-2010 02:58 PM

5.4 and tomcat5

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>> Sounds like a firewall issue to me, but I'd check the logfiles.
>>>
>>> mark
>>>

>> No firewall running
>>
>> # iptables -L
>> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>> target prot opt source destination
>>
>> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
>> target prot opt source destination
>>
>> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>> target prot opt source destination
>>
>> The are no errors in catalina.out
>> Also I have a CentOS 5.4 runnig tomcat6 downloaded from apache
>> I have no problem remotely accessing manager
>> We also have other Linux runnig tomcat from packages and they have no
>> problem accessing the manager remotely
>> It "appears" to be particular to the CentOS package
>> I do not know enough about tomcat to fix this package
>
> A 403 response means you reached the web server network-wise but the
> server is denying access because it is configured to restrict clients
> and you haven't authenticated correctly.

How do I find what is denying access since there are not error messages in
the log files: httpd/error_log, httpd/access_log, tomcat5/catalina.out,
messages, and secure