Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default Exim VS Postfix (no flame wars please)

Can anyone, who has used both Postfix & Exim please share some experience with me? Which of these 2 did you prefer to use, and why?
cPanel uses Exim (and AFAIK, only Exim), VirtualMin seems to use Postfix by default and often times when a custom server is installed a client doesn't know which to use so we recommend Exim. But, what are the differences between these 2, from your experience, if you don't mind telling me?

I have used Qmail on FreeBSD 4.8 last and don't even consider this as a good mail system anymore, so I'm not even looking at it right now.*

--
Kind Regards

Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Can anyone, who has used both Postfix & Exim please share some experience
> with me? Which of these 2 did you prefer to use, and why?

I have not used exim but I know someone who swears by it. It is highly
configurable and had stuff like sender based routing before postfix did.

> cPanel uses Exim (and AFAIK, only Exim), VirtualMin seems to use Postfix by
> default and often times when a custom server is installed a client doesn't
> know which to use so we recommend Exim. But, what are the differences
> between these 2, from your experience, if you don't mind telling me?

Exim is monolithic while postfix is not. Next up would be a comparison
in feature sets (lookup table should be the same -
mysql,pgsql,ldap,Berkerly DB) but is probably not worth it unless you
want to do make some really intricate ruleset. The last would probably
be the difference in behaviour and therefore in tuning. postfix being
non-monolithic might mean that it has more room for fine-tuning than exim.

> I have used Qmail on FreeBSD 4.8 last and don't even consider this as a good
> mail system anymore, so I'm not even looking at it right now.

qmail on FreeBSD 4.x? Man, FreeBSD 4.x is dog slow. I got a major
performance boost just be moving from FreeBSD to Redhat Linux back in
2002/2003 on the same hardware. FreeBSD also only supports directory
indexing to 1000 entries, anymore than that it will start walking
through the tree. You do not ever want to build a queue on FreeBSD.
Anyway, I would not consider using qmail for an mx but I would for an
outgoing server after it has been patched for smtp-auth support.

The bottom line is, use whatever you are comfortable with or take the
time to learn the mta's behaviours and features. It won't matter how
much exim is better than postfix or vice-versa if you are not prepared
to work with it.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Yahoo using postfix, and zimbra also use postfix as MTA. But exim is simple to configure.

I'm using zimbra as primary and postfix as secondary mx.

-
------------
Regards,
David
--
http://pnyet.web.id

Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Paul Graydon

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Can anyone, who has used both Postfix & Exim please share some experience
>> with me? Which of these 2 did you prefer to use, and why?
>>

> I have not used exim but I know someone who swears by it. It is highly
> configurable and had stuff like sender based routing before postfix did.
>

>> cPanel uses Exim (and AFAIK, only Exim), VirtualMin seems to use Postfix by
>> default and often times when a custom server is installed a client doesn't
>> know which to use so we recommend Exim. But, what are the differences
>> between these 2, from your experience, if you don't mind telling me?
>>

> Exim is monolithic while postfix is not. Next up would be a comparison
> in feature sets (lookup table should be the same -
> mysql,pgsql,ldap,Berkerly DB) but is probably not worth it unless you
> want to do make some really intricate ruleset. The last would probably
> be the difference in behaviour and therefore in tuning. postfix being
> non-monolithic might mean that it has more room for fine-tuning than exim.
I've never found it particularly necessary to tune exim, out of the box
with a basic configuration it handles itself very well and scales nicely
even up to heavy loads. I've used it in 100k+ e-mails a day
environments without any stability or performance problems. It's a
rather popular mail server in the UK, possibly by nature of it's origins
at Cambridge.

I've not spent much time using postfix, but every time I have it's been
relatively straightforward and intuitive as well. Always seems to
perform well too

I rather feel its a bit of a case of 6 of one, half a dozen of the
other. Both tackle the same problem from slightly different angles, and
both have achieved excellence in their own ways.

There is a great introduction to configuring exim on this site:
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk

Paul

Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Paul Graydon <paulgraydon@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Thanx guys, this is as much as I thought There's no real benefit in choosing one over the other, but rather use what I know.*

Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, March 09, 2010 11:03 PM, david@pnyet.web.id wrote:
> Yahoo using postfix, and zimbra also use postfix as MTA. But exim is simple to configure.

And when did Yahoo switch from qmail to postfix? In fact, the headers
still indicate that Yahoo is using their own modified version of qmail.