Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Bill Campbell

Default /etc/group file entries

Looking at the documentation of the /etc/group file including
some google searches, it appears to me that, contrary to the man
pages for group, Linux systems generally do not put membership
user names for the user's primary group in the record for it in
the /etc/group file, only for secondary groups. FreeBSD seems to
do the same thing while SCO OpenServer has full entries for the
primary group as well as secondaries.

Is there a best practice when manipulating these regarding line
length? I've see articles that recommend splitting long entries
into multiple group lines with the same group id, while at least
some SuSE Linux Enterprise systems produce single long lines
(30,869 characters on a site with about 5,100 accounts).

How would the system's group maintenance routines interact with a
group file where this was done?

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

The man who produces while others dispose of his product is a slave.
Ayn Rand