Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Uwe Kiewel

Default strange su behavior

Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM
John R Pierce

Uwe Kiewel wrote:
> [root@halifax ~]# useradd test00
> [root@halifax ~]# su - test00
>

> We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
> Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
>
> #1) Respect the privacy of others.
> #2) Think before you type.
> #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
>
> Password:

that almost sounds like sudo, not su. is it aliased or something?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Don Krause

> Hi,
>
> I have a strange su hehavior on a CentOS 5.4 32Bit installation in a
> VMware ESXi virtualizied environment:
>
> If I am root and want to change the user to a non-root user, the system
> prompts me for a password:
>

> [root@halifax ~]# useradd test00
> [root@halifax ~]# su - test00
>

> We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
> Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
>
> #1) Respect the privacy of others.
> #2) Think before you type.
> #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
>
> Password:

The above warning comes from sudo. Figure out why you're running sudo and not su as you expect. Is it aliased?

--
Don Krause
"This message represents the official view of the voices in my head."

Old 03-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Uwe Kiewel

Old 03-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Dan Burkland

Have you tried just running su without the dash and space before the username? (For example: su test00). If not try that and let us know if you receive the same result.

Regards,

Dan

Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Uwe Kiewel

Old 03-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Spiro Harvey

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 21:28:44 +0100
Uwe Kiewel <ml@kiewel-online.ch> wrote:

> > that almost sounds like sudo, not su. is it aliased or something?
> I don't think so:
> [root@halifax ~]# file /bin/su

You've confirmed it's not symlinked, but is it aliased?

Type "alias" and see the result.

--
Spiro Harvey Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923 www.knossos.net.nz

Old 03-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Uwe Kiewel

Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
John Doe

From: Uwe Kiewel <ml@kiewel-online.ch>
> If I am root and want to change the user to a non-root user, the system
> prompts me for a password:
> [root@halifax ~]# useradd test00
> [root@halifax ~]# su - test00
> We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
> Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
> #1) Respect the privacy of others.
> #2) Think before you type.
> #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
> Password:
> [test00@halifax ~]$ logout
> [root@halifax ~]# su - test00
> [test00@halifax ~]$ logout
> [root@halifax ~]#
> At this test procedure I just hit the enter key at the password promt.
> Do you have any idea for this behavoir? I expect to do so from root to
> any account _without_ being prompted for the password.

Do you have any sudo call from your /etc or /etc/skel bashrc or profile...?

JD

Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 PM
"Uwe (ML) Kiewel"

From: Uwe Kiewel <ml@kiewel-online.ch>
>> If I am root and want to change the user to a non-root user, the system
>> prompts me for a password:
>> [root@halifax ~]# useradd test00
>> [root@halifax ~]# su - test00
>> We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
>> Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
>> #1) Respect the privacy of others.
>> #2) Think before you type.
>> #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
>> Password:
>> [test00@halifax ~]$ logout
>> [root@halifax ~]# su - test00
>> [test00@halifax ~]$ logout
>> [root@halifax ~]#
>> At this test procedure I just hit the enter key at the password promt.
>> Do you have any idea for this behavoir? I expect to do so from root to
>> any account _without_ being prompted for the password.
>
>Do you have any sudo call from your /etc or /etc/skel bashrc or profile...?

Yes, I do have in /etc/bashrc:

[...]
if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
echo