Old 03-07-2010, 05:41 PM
fred smith

Default upgrading 32-bit installation to 64-bit

Hi!

I've got a 32-bit Centos installed on an AMD Phenom II X2 processor and
I'm interested ni making it 64 bit instead. But I'd sure like to avoid
having to go back thru the whole installation again... in part because
I've got sotware RAID set up and I'm assuming that I can't do a fresh
install into it without having to re-configure the whole thing.

So, is it possible (and practical) to upgrade a 32 bit system to 64?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Robert Heller

> Hi!
>
> I've got a 32-bit Centos installed on an AMD Phenom II X2 processor and
> I'm interested ni making it 64 bit instead. But I'd sure like to avoid
> having to go back thru the whole installation again... in part because
> I've got sotware RAID set up and I'm assuming that I can't do a fresh
> install into it without having to re-configure the whole thing.

Doing a fresh 64 install on an existing 32-bit system with software RAID
does not mean you have to re-configure the RAID system.

Are you using LVM? Have you broken up your root, /boot, and /home (and
possibly /var/<mumble>) as separate file systems (except /boot) as LVM
logical volumes? If so, it is easy. I did this recently. I created
fresh root, /usr, and /var filesystems (lvcreate ...), then installed
64-bit CentOS 5.4. I retailed the old 32-bit CentOS 4.8 system tree and
copied the config files needed to bring the 64-install up to speed..

> So, is it possible (and practical) to upgrade a 32 bit system to 64?

Not recomended to 'upgrade'.

heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
fred smith

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 02:19:45PM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

> > Hi!
> >
> > I've got a 32-bit Centos installed on an AMD Phenom II X2 processor and
> > I'm interested ni making it 64 bit instead. But I'd sure like to avoid
> > having to go back thru the whole installation again... in part because
> > I've got sotware RAID set up and I'm assuming that I can't do a fresh
> > install into it without having to re-configure the whole thing.
>
> Doing a fresh 64 install on an existing 32-bit system with software RAID
> does not mean you have to re-configure the RAID system.
>
> Are you using LVM? Have you broken up your root, /boot, and /home (and
> possibly /var/<mumble>) as separate file systems (except /boot) as LVM
> logical volumes? If so, it is easy. I did this recently. I created
> fresh root, /usr, and /var filesystems (lvcreate ...), then installed
> 64-bit CentOS 5.4. I retailed the old 32-bit CentOS 4.8 system tree and
> copied the config files needed to bring the 64-install up to speed..
>

> > So, is it possible (and practical) to upgrade a 32 bit system to 64?
>
> Not recomended to 'upgrade'.

Thanks, robert. When the time comes I may drop you a privater email to
inquire if you can expand on this.

Fred

I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.