Old 03-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Sean Carolan

Default CentOS server running java - won't let go of swap

> I think Xms/x is java's heap space for program object storage. *It doesn't take
> into account the space needed for the JVM itself. *Top should show you the
> actual memory usage - along with any other programs that might be using a lot.

One of our java developers indicated that the heap space plus permgen
should approximate the total memory required by the JVM. HP's system
management homepage that eats up nearly 500MB by itself.

Are there any tools that let you look inside the swap disk or file
and see exactly what is being placed there?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Les Mikesell

Sean Carolan wrote:
>> I think Xms/x is java's heap space for program object storage. It doesn't take
>> into account the space needed for the JVM itself. Top should show you the
>> actual memory usage - along with any other programs that might be using a lot.
>
> One of our java developers indicated that the heap space plus permgen
> should approximate the total memory required by the JVM. HP's system
> management homepage that eats up nearly 500MB by itself.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Permgen is just part of the heap space and
none of that accounts for the executing part of the JVM. In any case, you
probably want to allow some free memory to be used for filesystem cache.

> Are there any tools that let you look inside the swap disk or file
> and see exactly what is being placed there?

In top, hit 'f', then 'p' to add a column to show swap usage by process.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Sean Carolan

> I'm pretty sure that's not true. *Permgen is just part of the heap space and
> none of that accounts for the executing part of the JVM. *In any case, you
> probably want to allow some free memory to be used for filesystem cache.

I'll read up on this some more. I'm not a java expert.

>> Are there any tools that let you look inside *the swap disk or file
>> and see exactly what is being placed there?
>
> In top, hit 'f', then 'p' to add a column to show swap usage by process.

Well, looks like java is the culprit. I'll work with the devs and QA
people some more to see if we can track down the source, maybe it's a
memory leak...

Old 03-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Les Mikesell

Sean Carolan wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that's not true. Permgen is just part of the heap space and
>> none of that accounts for the executing part of the JVM. In any case, you
>> probably want to allow some free memory to be used for filesystem cache.
>
> I'll read up on this some more. I'm not a java expert.
>
>>> Are there any tools that let you look inside the swap disk or file
>>> and see exactly what is being placed there?
>> In top, hit 'f', then 'p' to add a column to show swap usage by process.
>
> Well, looks like java is the culprit. I'll work with the devs and QA
> people some more to see if we can track down the source, maybe it's a
> memory leak...

Does restarting java fix it for a while? There was an odd leak back in the
1.4.x versions when creating graphic images, and there may be others in other
versions.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com