-   -   is it possible to recover LVM drive from accidental Fdisk? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/337326-possible-recover-lvm-drive-accidental-fdisk.html)

Rudi Ahlers 03-07-2010 05:23 AM

is it possible to recover LVM drive from accidental Fdisk?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to recover an LVM partition from a drive that was fdisked? I accidently fdisk'd the wrong drive (had to fdisk a lot of 160GB drivers from old servers and one still has important data on that client now wants) by running fdisk /dev/sdc & deleting the partitions. The drive is still in a another machine and hasn't been rebooted yet, but there's no no partition on it.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com

Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

"nate" 03-07-2010 05:50 AM

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to recover an LVM partition from a drive
> that was fdisked? I accidently fdisk'd the wrong drive (had to fdisk a lot
> of 160GB drivers from old servers and one still has important data on that
> client now wants) by running fdisk /dev/sdc & deleting the partitions. The
> drive is still in a another machine and hasn't been rebooted yet, but
> there's no no partition on it.

re-create the original partition table, which is just a map, as long
as you haven't formatted or overwritten data everything should still
be there

Also suggest if your not already doing it set your LVm partitons to
type 8e so it's obvious they are LVM

[root@dc1-mysql001b:~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 2197.9 GB, 2197949513728 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 267218 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 267218 2146428553+ 8e Linux LVM

nate

Theo Band 03-07-2010 06:03 PM

nate wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know if it's possible to recover an LVM partition from a drive
>> that was fdisked? I accidently fdisk'd the wrong drive (had to fdisk a lot
>> of 160GB drivers from old servers and one still has important data on that
>> client now wants) by running fdisk /dev/sdc & deleting the partitions. The
>> drive is still in a another machine and hasn't been rebooted yet, but
>> there's no no partition on it.
>>

> re-create the original partition table, which is just a map, as long
> as you haven't formatted or overwritten data everything should still
> be there
>
> Also suggest if your not already doing it set your LVm partitons to
> type 8e so it's obvious they are LVM
>
> [root@dc1-mysql001b:~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdc
>
> Disk /dev/sdc: 2197.9 GB, 2197949513728 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 267218 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sdc1 1 267218 2146428553+ 8e Linux LVM

And if you don't exactly remember how the partitions where set up, you
could try parted with the rescue command. It will search the raw disk
for signatures that could be the start of a partition.

Theo