Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Bill Campbell

Default Hylafax does not pick up.

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010, James B. Byrne wrote:
>We run the distro HylaFax on a CentOS-5.4 host. On infrequent
>occasions we notice that the server will not pick up an incoming
>call. It reports listening to modem rings.
>
>Now, it seems to me that picking up the call should be under the
>control of the modem but I notice that there exists a setting in
>Hylafax for the number of rings before picking up. The default
>value for this is 0 (zero) but we have it set to 1 (one). Because
>of this option I am not sure whether there is something wrong with
>the server or with the modem.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this problem and discovered its cause?

I don't run the CentOS version of HylaFAX, but one I have built
myself, and use its faxgetty to handle incoming fax and data (we
still have some dialup uucp connections :-). The faxgetty daemon
logs pretty much everything it does so you may find useful info
there if you're using it.

FWIW, I've never been able to figure out any of the other fax getty
programs, and have been using the one with HylaFAX (nee FlexFAX)
for the better part of 20 years going back to SCO Xenix days if I
remember correctly.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of
their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or
so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
-James Madison, Federalist Paper #62