Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
"Stephen P. Molnar"

Default Permissions Problem

Debian 6.0.5(64bit)/KDE4.4.5

I have a HD on my system, sdc1 which has root root ownership. I created
a directory, Apps, to which I gave computation computation ownership
(user). I can create a file in the Apps directory without any problems
as the user.

However, when I try to run an installer

./install_ecce.6.4.rehl5-gcc4.1.2-m64.csh

get a Permission denied message.

i should not that the same installer runs in the users (computation)
subdirectory. The installer permission are set for an executable file,
and cash has been installed on the system.

I know enough about permissions to know that I'm missing something, but
I don't know what it might be.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry Stochastic and multivariate

Archive: 507AD4F7.4040704@sbcglobal.net">http://lists.debian.org/507AD4F7.4040704@sbcglobal.net

Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Sunday 14 October 2012 11:06:31 am Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I have a HD on my system, sdc1 which has root root ownership. I created
> a directory, Apps, to which I gave computation computation ownership
> (user). I can create a file in the Apps directory without any problems
> as the user.
>
> However, when I try to run an installer
>
> ./install_ecce.6.4.rehl5-gcc4.1.2-m64.csh
>
> get a Permission denied message.
>
> i should not that the same installer runs in the users (computation)
> subdirectory. The installer permission are set for an executable file,
> and cash has been installed on the system.
>
> I know enough about permissions to know that I'm missing something, but
> I don't know what it might be.

You are trying to install a RedHat Enterprise Linux package on Debian. This
can be a problem if the user numbers that Debian and Redhat either conflict or
if RedHat makes different assumptions about user numbers than Debian does. Can
you get a Debian package for ecce?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Lisi

On Monday 15 October 2012 13:46:03 Mark Neidorff wrote:
> On Sunday 14 October 2012 11:06:31 am Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> > I have a HD on my system, sdc1 which has root root ownership. I created
> > a directory, Apps, to which I gave computation computation ownership
> > (user). I can create a file in the Apps directory without any problems
> > as the user.
> >
> > However, when I try to run an installer
> >
> > ./install_ecce.6.4.rehl5-gcc4.1.2-m64.csh
> >
> > get a Permission denied message.
> >
> > i should not that the same installer runs in the users (computation)
> > subdirectory. The installer permission are set for an executable file,
> > and cash has been installed on the system.
> >
> > I know enough about permissions to know that I'm missing something, but
> > I don't know what it might be.
>
> You are trying to install a RedHat Enterprise Linux package on Debian. This
> can be a problem if the user numbers that Debian and Redhat either conflict
> or if RedHat makes different assumptions about user numbers than Debian
> does. Can you get a Debian package for ecce?

According to the Debian package list, the answer is no. (I searched on all
versions.)

Lisi

Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 08:46 -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> user numbers

I suspect the term should be "user IDs".

If I list my Debian from Arch Linux, it does look like that:

[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ id
uid=1000(spinymouse) gid=100(users)
groups=100(users),7(lp),10(wheel),50(games),91(vid eo),92(audio),93(optical),95(storage),96(scanner), 98(power),108(vboxusers)
[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -l /run/media/spinymouse/avlinux/home
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root 29 4096 Apr 6 2012 music
drwxr-xr-x 55 spinymouse 1000 4096 Sep 21 00:36 spinymouse

Names become IDs.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 14:03 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > Can you get a Debian package for ecce?
>
> According to the Debian package list, the answer is no. (I searched on all
> versions.)

Perhaps wiki.debian.org/Alien could help.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 15:56 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 14:03 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > > Can you get a Debian package for ecce?
> >
> > According to the Debian package list, the answer is no. (I searched on all
> > versions.)
>
> Perhaps wiki.debian.org/Alien could help.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Apologize! I didn't notice ./install_ecce.6.4.rehl5-gcc4.1.2-m64.csh and
Fedora does use RPM.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM
John Hasler

Mark Neidorff wrote:
> You are trying to install a RedHat Enterprise Linux package on
> Debian. This can be a problem if the user numbers that Debian and
> Redhat either conflict or if RedHat makes different assumptions about
> user numbers than Debian does. Can you get a Debian package for ecce?

<http://ecce.emsl.pnl.gov/>

The fact that that the "installer" is a csh script is a bad sign (as is
the fact that there is an "installer" at all). If possible get the bare
rpm package and install it with alien. I'd suggest building from source
but I suspect that the build system is a nightmare (and probably also a
csh script, but I repeat myself).

--
John Hasler

Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM
hvw59601

Mark Neidorff wrote:

[...]

Try downloading ecce-v6.4-src.tar.bz2 from the ecce site and installing
that. There is an ecce forum also.

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/k5h8uo$4sc$1@ger.gmane.org

Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM
"Stephen P. Molnar"

I suspect the term should be "user IDs".

If I list my Debian from Arch Linux, it does look like that:

[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ id
uid=1000(spinymouse) gid=100(users)
groups=100(users),7(lp),10(wheel),50(games),91(vid eo),92(audio),93(optical),95(storage),96(scanner), 98(power),108(vboxusers)
[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -l /run/media/spinymouse/avlinux/home
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root 29 4096 Apr 6 2012 music
drwxr-xr-x 55 spinymouse 1000 4096 Sep 21 00:36 spinymouse

Names become IDs.

Regards,
Ralf

Here are some things I have managed to find:

[ 15.162173] EXT4-fs (sde1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
[ 15.241250] EXT4-fs (sde2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode

It would seen that both partitions are found.

root@debian:/sde2# l
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Oct 15 11:57 Apps

drwxr-xr-x 40 root root 4096 Oct 14 15:12 computation
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Sep 29 11:06 lost+found

root@debian:/sde2/Apps# l
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 4 computation computation 4096 Oct 15 11:40 ecce-v6.4
drwxr-xr-x 10 computation computation 4096 Sep 29 16:18 MGLTools-1.5.4
drwxr-xr-x 2 computation computation 4096 Sep 29 16:17 scratch

It would seem that the installer has set permissions at computation
computation, but:

computation@debian:/sde2/Apps/ecce-v6.4/apps/scripts$ ./ecce
bash: ./ecce: Permission denied

I get the same response for every executable in the Apps directory. (the
paths are set by the installer).

Solutions to these problems will really be appreciated.