Old 03-04-2010, 12:01 PM
chloe K

Default help fdisk and dd

Hi all

What is the best practice to remove all data in the disk?

ls fdisk ok or use dd

Can data be recovered?

and what is the dd command?

Thank you

Old 03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM, chloe K <chloekcy2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> What is the best practice to remove all data in the disk?
>
> ls fdisk ok or use dd
>
> Can data be recovered?
>
> and what is the dd command?

fdisk just repartiions the disk.

dd is an axe. It can be used to copy anything to anything. This is
useful to _really_ wipe data off.

Regards

Rajagopal

Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM, chloe K <chloekcy2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> What is the best practice to remove all data in the disk?
If you want to securely remove the data, I recommend using a tool like DBAN.
If you want to just wipe out the partition & boot sector for a clean
reinstallation, dd'ing the disk with zero for a couple of Mbytes is
more than enough.