Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Jeff Sadino

Default Recover RAID

Hello Everyone,

First time CentOS poster * I have CentOS 4 installed on the head node of a Sun Gridengine cluster set up in a RAID.* The head node has four hard drives, and I assume that drives 1 and 2 are in a raid and then drives 3 and 4 are in another raid.* I was trying to expand the OS partition on drive 1 because it was full.* I took drive 1 out, put it in my Fedora 8 box as a secondary drive, booted up into Fedora, and saw it had the partition structure:

/ 8GB
/var 4GB
/swap 1GB
and an "unknown" partition 101.4GB

I did a cp -rfa on the / and /var files for a backup (I know, not the best way).* Restarted my Fedora into Windows to take a look at it using Paragon Partition Manger.* Restarted into Fedora and using gparted, formatted the "unknown" partition as ext3 - I think that is where I made my fatal mistake - and moved the /swap to the middle of the drive, moved the /var to the middle and expanded to 10GB, and then expanded / to about 50GB to fill up the rest.

I had also took drive 2 out of the head node and into my Fedora, and saw it had the partition structure:
/swap 15GB
and an "unknown" partition 101.4GB

Ok, now when I put everything back into the head node, and reboot, the BIOS sees all four drives, and from what I can tell, recognizes the first raid (of drives 3 and 4), but says it can only find one disk for the second raid (drives 1 and 2).* I can't find any way around this.

Looking at my /etc/raidtab file:
raiddev /dev/md0
******* raid-level***** 1
******* nr-raid-disks** 2
******* nr-spare-disks* 0
******* persistent-superblock 1
******* device********* /dev/sdc1
******* raid-disk****** 0

******* device********* /dev/sdd1
******* raid-disk****** 1

raiddev /dev/md1
******* raid-level***** 0
******* nr-raid-disks** 2
******* persistent-superblock 1
******* chunk-size**** 4
******* device********* /dev/sda4

******* raid-disk****** 0
******* device********* /dev/sdb2
******* raid-disk****** 1

It says it can bring up md0 ok, but not md1.* Right now, I am going to try to restore the "unknown" partition that I deleted from drive 1 using the "unknown" partition from drive 2.

Any ideas on how to get myself out of this mess?* I feel like I really messed it up good.* This is a server for our work, and we have a couple years worth of data on it, so I would really like to fix it rather than reinstall.

Thank you greatly for any help!
Jeff Sadino