Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Michael Klinosky

Default splash screen resolution

I installed CentOS 5.3 on a desktop box, and I'm having a problem with
the splash screen resolution (during bootup).

I suppose that it somehow got configged when I set the GUI's screen (I
run in level 5). I think that, in finding the highest res for the GUI, I
went past the monitor's capability. But it's good now.

During boot, I get a funny 'double' display (2 pointers, 2 sets of
text). I can't find where to change it (thru the gui or manually). And,
yes, I did try searching (on google.com/linux and the CentOS wiki).

I didn't see anything in /boot/grub/grub.conf that would set the res. I
read about removing 'rhgb'; I tried it, and at least it uses an
appropriate resolution. But, I'd like to use the graphical boot screen.

How do I fix this?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 AM
John Doe

From: Michael Klinosky <mpk2@enter.net>
> I installed CentOS 5.3 on a desktop box, and I'm having a problem with
> the splash screen resolution (during bootup).

Try to add vga=XXX at the end of the grub kernel line...
http://www.linuxquestions.org/blog/archtoad6-147095/2007/12/29/vga-resolution-codes-for-grub-andamp-lilo-830/

JD