Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Default Back to apcupsd

Ok, so another apc UPS 3000 complained about bad batteries, and I changed
them out from the same order that I'd gotten in a couple of months ago.

The APC SmartUPS 3000 started connecting and disconnecting the USB
connection. I brought down and up the service, no joy.

Finally, after googling, I found a *completely* undocumented way to start
apcupsd, that a few years ago someone was told to try, so as to log
debugging info, to send to a developer:
apcupsd -d1000 -T
I've just skimmed the man page, and the online docs, and there is *no*
mention of either parm. I found nothing in the logs.

However, when I kill -HUPped it, and restarted the service, the USB stuff
had stopped. Ok, one problem down.

The change battery light's still on. I'll see if it still is in the
morning. One thing I did note, while skimming the docs, and comparing my
results from apcaccess, was that while the nominal voltage for the APC
SmartUPS 3000 is 48V, the new batteries are showing 55.4V. Anyone have any
idea if this could be why the replace battery light's on - it's more than
5V difference?

mark

Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 AM
John R Pierce

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> ...that while the nominal voltage for the APC
> SmartUPS 3000 is 48V, the new batteries are showing 55.4V.

lead acid batteries are 2.1-2.15V per cell when fully charged, and the
trickle charging float voltage is more like 2.3V per cell. 2.3 * 6
cells/battery * 4 batteries == 55 V

to read the batteries charge state, you would need to disconnect them
from the charger(UPS) for about 4-6 hours before reading the voltage,
this lets the surface charge dissipate. After doing this, you should
see 12.6-12.8V per 12v battery, or 50.4 to 51.2V for your stack of 4 *
12V. All these voltages assume 68-72F battery temperature. 48V is
nearly totally discharged

Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 02Mar2010 17:13, m.roth@5-cent.us <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
| Ok, so another apc UPS 3000 complained about bad batteries, and I changed
| them out from the same order that I'd gotten in a couple of months ago.
|
| The APC SmartUPS 3000 started connecting and disconnecting the USB
| connection. I brought down and up the service, no joy.
|
| Finally, after googling, I found a *completely* undocumented way to start
| apcupsd, that a few years ago someone was told to try, so as to log
| debugging info, to send to a developer:
| apcupsd -d1000 -T
| I've just skimmed the man page, and the online docs, and there is *no*
| mention of either parm. I found nothing in the logs.

On my Gentoo box, man apcupsd:

-d level --debug level
Set debugging output level where level is a number
greater than zero.

I don't see a -T. There's a "-t" though.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Scott Silva

on 3-2-2010 2:13 PM m.roth@5-cent.us spake the
following:
> Ok, so another apc UPS 3000 complained about bad batteries, and I changed
> them out from the same order that I'd gotten in a couple of months ago.
>
> The APC SmartUPS 3000 started connecting and disconnecting the USB
> connection. I brought down and up the service, no joy.
>
> Finally, after googling, I found a *completely* undocumented way to start
> apcupsd, that a few years ago someone was told to try, so as to log
> debugging info, to send to a developer:
> apcupsd -d1000 -T
> I've just skimmed the man page, and the online docs, and there is *no*
> mention of either parm. I found nothing in the logs.
>
> However, when I kill -HUPped it, and restarted the service, the USB stuff
> had stopped. Ok, one problem down.
>
> The change battery light's still on. I'll see if it still is in the
> morning. One thing I did note, while skimming the docs, and comparing my
> results from apcaccess, was that while the nominal voltage for the APC
> SmartUPS 3000 is 48V, the new batteries are showing 55.4V. Anyone have any
> idea if this could be why the replace battery light's on - it's more than
> 5V difference?
>
> mark
The light might stay on until either the next battery test, or re-setting the
stored battery change date. I never have been able to get the date changed
from *nix. I usually used a windows laptop with APC software installed. It can
probably be done, just never spent a long time trying.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM

> on 3-2-2010 2:13 PM m.roth@5-cent.us spake the
> following:
>> Ok, so another apc UPS 3000 complained about bad batteries, and I
>> changed them out from the same order that I'd gotten in a couple of
>> months ago.
>>
>> The APC SmartUPS 3000 started connecting and disconnecting the USB
>> connection. I brought down and up the service, no joy.
<snip>
>> The change battery light's still on. I'll see if it still is in the
>> morning. One thing I did note, while skimming the docs, and comparing my
>> results from apcaccess, was that while the nominal voltage for the APC
>> SmartUPS 3000 is 48V, the new batteries are showing 55.4V. Anyone have
>> any idea if this could be why the replace battery light's on - it's more
>> than 5V difference?
>>
> The light might stay on until either the next battery test, or re-setting
> the stored battery change date. I never have been able to get the date
> changed from *nix. I usually used a windows laptop with APC software
> installed. It can probably be done, just never spent a long time trying.

Thanks, but no joy. I had no problem using apcupsd to reset the battery
change date... but that didn't do it. I've done numerous battery tests,
both from apctest, with apcupsd down, and by pushing the button.

*sigh*

We've ordered another set of batteries for one of these, this time the
exact same make and model that were in them, though still not the full OEM
cartridge, and we'll see if it does need HR (high rate) batteries. If so,
then what was advertised as a replacement kit is untrue.

mark

Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Scott Silva

on 3-16-2010 8:43 AM m.roth@5-cent.us spake the
following:
>> on 3-2-2010 2:13 PM m.roth@5-cent.us spake the
>> following:
>>> Ok, so another apc UPS 3000 complained about bad batteries, and I
>>> changed them out from the same order that I'd gotten in a couple of
>>> months ago.
>>>
>>> The APC SmartUPS 3000 started connecting and disconnecting the USB
>>> connection. I brought down and up the service, no joy.
> <snip>
>>> The change battery light's still on. I'll see if it still is in the
>>> morning. One thing I did note, while skimming the docs, and comparing my
>>> results from apcaccess, was that while the nominal voltage for the APC
>>> SmartUPS 3000 is 48V, the new batteries are showing 55.4V. Anyone have
>>> any idea if this could be why the replace battery light's on - it's more
>>> than 5V difference?
>>>
>> The light might stay on until either the next battery test, or re-setting
>> the stored battery change date. I never have been able to get the date
>> changed from *nix. I usually used a windows laptop with APC software
>> installed. It can probably be done, just never spent a long time trying.
>
> Thanks, but no joy. I had no problem using apcupsd to reset the battery
> change date... but that didn't do it. I've done numerous battery tests,
> both from apctest, with apcupsd down, and by pushing the button.
>
> *sigh*
>
> We've ordered another set of batteries for one of these, this time the
> exact same make and model that were in them, though still not the full OEM
> cartridge, and we'll see if it does need HR (high rate) batteries. If so,
> then what was advertised as a replacement kit is untrue.
>
> mark
Yeah... Been burned by OEM batteries in the past... Usually buy direct from
APC anymore... Not worth it

Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Bowie Bailey

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 3-16-2010 8:43 AM m.roth@5-cent.us spake the
> following:
>
>>> on 3-2-2010 2:13 PM m.roth@5-cent.us spake the
>>> following:

>> <snip>

>>> The light might stay on until either the next battery test, or re-setting
>>> the stored battery change date. I never have been able to get the date
>>> changed from *nix. I usually used a windows laptop with APC software
>>> installed. It can probably be done, just never spent a long time trying.
>>>
>> Thanks, but no joy. I had no problem using apcupsd to reset the battery
>> change date... but that didn't do it. I've done numerous battery tests,
>> both from apctest, with apcupsd down, and by pushing the button.
>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> We've ordered another set of batteries for one of these, this time the
>> exact same make and model that were in them, though still not the full OEM
>> cartridge, and we'll see if it does need HR (high rate) batteries. If so,
>> then what was advertised as a replacement kit is untrue.
>>
>> mark
>>
> Yeah... Been burned by OEM batteries in the past... Usually buy direct from
> APC anymore... Not worth it

I don't have a 3000, but I've got a few SU2200's and a pile of SU700's.
I get all my replacement batteries from Batteries Plus (Werker brand)
and have never had a problem. The replace battery light stays on until
I do a battery test (let it charge for 24 hours, then test it via the
button).

--
Bowie

Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 AM
John R Pierce

speaking of UPS's...

I -almost- ordered $300 worth of UPS replacement batteries today, but on
a hunch, I swapped electronic modules with a twin UPS (the ERM is
hotswappable on these 2U 3000VA units), and lo and behold, its the ERM
thats faulty, not the battery pack. found a fleabay ERM for $250 (OEM
wants $1000). I have 3 of them, all about 5 years old, with 3 2U
expansion battery packs, for a total of 9 battery packs, $2000-3000 to
replace all of them.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:15 PM

> speaking of UPS's...
>
> I -almost- ordered $300 worth of UPS replacement batteries today, but on
> a hunch, I swapped electronic modules with a twin UPS (the ERM is
> hotswappable on these 2U 3000VA units), and lo and behold, its the ERM
> thats faulty, not the battery pack. found a fleabay ERM for $250 (OEM
> wants $1000). I have 3 of them, all about 5 years old, with 3 2U
> expansion battery packs, for a total of 9 battery packs, $2000-3000 to
> replace all of them.

Um, well.... The beginning of the year, we had a utility shutdown for
repairs, so we shut all our servers down, and the UPSs as well. Brought
them back up after the long weekend... and it took over a month for the
red light to come back. Watch out that the one you swapped doesn't come
back in a few weeks.

mark