Old 03-17-2010, 05:50 PM
John R Pierce

Default Back to apcupsd

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> speaking of UPS's...
>>
>> I -almost- ordered $300 worth of UPS replacement batteries today, but on
>> a hunch, I swapped electronic modules with a twin UPS (the ERM is
>> hotswappable on these 2U 3000VA units), and lo and behold, its the ERM
>> thats faulty, not the battery pack. found a fleabay ERM for $250 (OEM
>> wants $1000). I have 3 of them, all about 5 years old, with 3 2U
>> expansion battery packs, for a total of 9 battery packs, $2000-3000 to
>> replace all of them.
>>

> Um, well.... The beginning of the year, we had a utility shutdown for
> repairs, so we shut all our servers down, and the UPSs as well. Brought
> them back up after the long weekend... and it took over a month for the
> red light to come back. Watch out that the one you swapped doesn't come
> back in a few weeks.

when I put the suspect ERM module in the other UPS it faulted. when I
put the 'good' ERM back in its own UPS it was good. when I reinstalled
the suspect ERM in the original UPS, it faulted.

btw, fwiw, these are HP R3000XR UPS's
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/rackups/r3000xr/index.html,
They have been quite good for me, this one ERM failure at 5 years old
has been their only problem. with the battery expansion bay, they have
like 20 minutes at full load (but I only have like 30-40% load on
them). high efficiency, they run cool.