-   -   DHCP client not working with Windows DHCP / dynamic DNS server (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/334651-dhcp-client-not-working-windows-dhcp-dynamic-dns-server.html)

"nate" 03-02-2010 05:34 PM

Florin Andrei wrote:

> Is there anything else I can do on my side to make it happen? Any
> particular options in dhclient.conf or something like that?

See the man page ?

DYNAMIC DNS
The client now has some very limited support for doing DNS
updates when a lease is acquired. This is prototypical, and
probably doesn't do what you want. It also only works if you
happen to have control over your DNS server, which isn't very
likely.

To make it work, you have to declare a key and zone as in
the DHCP server (see dhcpd.conf(5) for details). You also need
to configure the fqdn option on the client, as follows:

send fqdn.fqdn "grosse.fugue.com.";
send fqdn.encoded on;
send fqdn.server-update off;

The fqdn.fqdn option MUST be a fully-qualified domain name.
You MUST define a zone statement for the zone to be updated.
The fqdn.encoded option may need to be set to on or off,
depending on the DHCP server you are using.

--

On my company's windows network the IT guy just assigns static
IPs via MAC addresses to those that want a fixed IP and create

Myself I've never liked dynamic DNS, never used it, I like my
zone files organized(and plain text, no binary crap) and I
suspect dynamic DNS would screw it all up. I've seen how
horribly polluted zones can get on windows networks with
dynamic DNS, overlapping names, multiple DNS entries for the
same IP etc.

nate

03-03-2010 08:53 AM

DHCP client not working with Windows DHCP / dynamic DNS server

In article <4298.65.102.144.193.1267554884.squirrel@webmail.l inuxpowered.net>,
nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
>
> > Is there anything else I can do on my side to make it happen? Any
> > particular options in dhclient.conf or something like that?
>
> See the man page ?
>
> DYNAMIC DNS
> The client now has some very limited support for doing DNS
> updates when a lease is acquired. This is prototypical, and
> probably doesn't do what you want. It also only works if you
> happen to have control over your DNS server, which isn't very
> likely.

I think this is describing something different, and is a way for the
DHCP client to directly send a dynamic DNS update to the DNS server.

In the OP's scenario, the DNS entries are updated by the DHCP server
when it grants a lease to a named client. The question is, what info
is the DHCP server receiving from Windows clients to enable this,
that his CentOS client is failing to send?

It might have to come down to sniffing the packets from each and
comparing...

Cheers
Tony
--