Old 03-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Damas Ally

Default Problem.

Greetings all,
I am using Centos-5.3 in my server which is running dns, apache and mail.
When the power went off and back then all of my services are not be able to run, i visited log files esp for httpd it says read-only and httpd cant start, this cause all of my services to stop. i tried to fix by fsck but still i cant be able to log in my mails via web access because httpd is not running, in short all services stopped.

I need help, what to do so that to change the read-only mode, i cant even delete any file.
After running fsck and reboot now it reached:-
(none) login:
and if i type root gives * incorrect.
Please help me so that to get back my mail server online (mails are in this server).

regards,
Damas
--
ICT4Community, in Community, with Community.
damastz@hotmail.com/aim.com/juasun.net

QQ 860719395, skype: damas.ally

Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Dominik Zyla

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 05:08:22PM +0300, Damas Ally wrote:
> Greetings all,
> I am using Centos-5.3 in my server which is running dns, apache and mail.
> When the power went off and back then all of my services are not be able to
> run, i visited log files esp for httpd it says read-only and httpd cant start,
> this cause all of my services to stop. i tried to fix by fsck but still i cant
> be able to log in my mails via web access because httpd is not running, in
> short all services stopped.
> I need help, what to do so that to change the read-only mode, i cant even
> delete any file.
> After running fsck and reboot now it reached:-
> (none) login:
> and if i type root gives incorrect.
> Please help me so that to get back my mail server online (mails are in this
> server).

Hi,

Did you checked appriopriate (/var) partition with fsck?

--
Dominik Zyla

Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 PM
John Doe

From: Damas Ally <damastz@gmail.com>
>When the power went off and back then all of my services are not be able to run, i visited log files esp for httpd it says read-only and httpd cant start, this cause all of my services to stop. i tried to fix by fsck but still i cant be able to log in my mails via web access because httpd is not running, in short all services stopped.
>>I need help, what to do so that to change the read-only mode, i cant even delete any file.

I think it is read-only because the filesystem has errors...
How did you run fsck? automaticaly or interactively?
You could 'mount -n -o remount,rw /' but it is unsafe if the filesystem is unclean...

JD

Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 AM
Jobst Schmalenbach

That is the root password you need to specify.
then you need to look BEFORE that line and find out what
fsck cannot check with the "-a" flag set.

You need to run fsck on the partition in question, then
correct all errors and type exit at the end.

the machine will then reboot.

jobst

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 05:08:22PM +0300, Damas Ally (damastz@gmail.com) wrote:
> Greetings all,
> I am using Centos-5.3 in my server which is running dns, apache and mail.
> When the power went off and back then all of my services are not be able to
> run, i visited log files esp for httpd it says read-only and httpd cant
> start, this cause all of my services to stop. i tried to fix by fsck but
> still i cant be able to log in my mails via web access because httpd is not
> running, in short all services stopped.
> I need help, what to do so that to change the read-only mode, i cant even
> delete any file.
> After running fsck and reboot now it reached:-
> (none) login:
> and if i type root gives incorrect.
> Please help me so that to get back my mail server online (mails are in this
> server).
> regards,
> Damas
>
> --
> ICT4Community, in Community, with Community.
> damastz@hotmail.com/aim.com/juasun.net
> +255 (0) 715 /784 /767 464 678
> QQ 860719395, skype: damas.ally

C is a write-only language.