Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 PM
JohnS

Default Moving hard drives

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 14:27 -0800, Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a server that is running nicely, except I have hit the maximum RAM (4gb) and I wish to add more.
>
> It is an ASUS board, AMD X64 dual core, nvidia nic.
>
> What I want going to move to is a dell board, Intel Pentium M dual code, which supports 8gb of RAM.
Truth be known the Asus board is faster even with the less ram. Are you sure the Asus board only supports 4GB and not 8GB?
> Can I just unplug the HD and move it to the new server and boot it up?

Gee I wish it were that easy. It's not MS Windows.
Kernel Panic Not Syncing!!!!
Hit Control-D for Maintenance
# mkinitrd
You may need the first install disc to boot "linux rescue"
It's not just as easy as another posted stated I promise. It can be
literal hell. Only about %30 of systems will JUST BOOT. Those systems
are the ones that contain "LIKE" Board Components
Before hand I would DD the disk drive number one priority so if
something does go wrong you have a image backup.

> I assume that the NIC will need to be re-setup, but what other issues would there be?
>
> I am not running X at all. Doing apache, zimbra, mysql.
How many users? Connections to it?

John

Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 PM
John R Pierce

Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a server that is running nicely, except I have hit the maximum RAM (4gb) and I wish to add more.
>
> It is an ASUS board, AMD X64 dual core, nvidia nic.
>
> What I want going to move to is a dell board, Intel Pentium M dual code, which supports 8gb of RAM.

Pentium-M was a single core laptop chip about 4 years ago, that predated
the Core family of CPUs... The current "Pentium" dual core chips are
low end Celeron-style chips based on Core2Duo chips with smaller caches
and disabled features..

Some potential places you get into trouble moving linux...

1) old architecture was x86_64, new CPU isn't.

2) old board and new board require different device names for the
disk systems, so /etc/fstab has to be editted

3) new board requires different IO drivers in /boot/initrd-*.img

Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Robert Heller

> Hi All,
>
> I have a server that is running nicely, except I have hit the maximum RAM (4gb) and I wish to add more.
>
> It is an ASUS board, AMD X64 dual core, nvidia nic.
>
> What I want going to move to is a dell board, Intel Pentium M dual code, which supports 8gb of RAM.
>
> Can I just unplug the HD and move it to the new server and boot it up?

What flavor of hard drive controller? If generic IDE, yes. If SCSI or
SATA (or 'fancy' IDE), only if the original and replacement use the
same driver module (if a PCI SCSI card, move the SCSI controller with the
disks).

If the controller is *different*, remake the initrd and add the proper
driver for the replacement board:

mkinitrd --with=<mumble> -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

<mumble> is the driver module for the new board's HD controler.

(Do this on the original system.)

You can use a livecd to determine that.

You *could* just do the transplant and then use the install CD (or a
live CD) in rescue mode to 'fix' the initrd.

> I assume that the NIC will need to be re-setup, but what other issues would there be?

Hard drive controller if SCSI or SATA.

Oh, are the processors on the Dell board X64 capable?

heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Slack-Moehrle
<mailinglists@mailnewsrss.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a server that is running nicely, except I have hit the maximum RAM (4gb) and I wish to add more.
>
> It is an ASUS board, AMD X64 dual core, nvidia nic.
>
> What I want going to move to is a dell board, Intel Pentium M dual code, which supports 8gb of RAM.
>
> Can I just unplug the HD and move it to the new server and boot it up?
>
> I assume that the NIC will need to be re-setup, but what other issues would there be?
>
> I am not running X at all. Doing apache, zimbra, mysql.

If you're worried, use a tool such as g4l to make an exact duplicate
of your system. You boot with the G4L disk then clone the HD to an
external HD or a network accessible share. Then boot the new with the
G4L disk then reimage the drive from the backup.

The ease with which this is done is all relative. Unlike MS Windows,
which can have lots of problems when moving to a new system, Linux
installations generally move quite easily. In fact, the initrd on
CentOS contains many generic modules so at worst case it can often
fall back to a compatible module. To inspect the initrd you can copy
the existing initrd.img to file such as foo.img.gz, gunzip, then use
cpio to extract the foo.img file. Once you do that you will see the
many modules that exist.

Going from ATA to SCSI or SATA will have some issues, generally with
fstab but that's to be expected. Other than that, no real problems.

BTW, prior to reading your email I'd posted another message about
moving Xen systems from one system to another. The Xen infrastructure
can hide a lot of the system specific internals so you may consider
virtualizing if you think this may be a regular occurence.