Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Slack-Moehrle

Default Moving hard drives

Hi All,

I have a server that is running nicely, except I have hit the maximum RAM (4gb) and I wish to add more.

It is an ASUS board, AMD X64 dual core, nvidia nic.

What I want going to move to is a dell board, Intel Pentium M dual code, which supports 8gb of RAM.

Can I just unplug the HD and move it to the new server and boot it up?

I assume that the NIC will need to be re-setup, but what other issues would there be?

I am not running X at all. Doing apache, zimbra, mysql.

Best,
-Jason

Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Slack-Moehrle
<mailinglists@mailnewsrss.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a server that is running nicely, except I have hit the maximum RAM (4gb) and I wish to add more.
>
> It is an ASUS board, AMD X64 dual core, nvidia nic.
>
> What I want going to move to is a dell board, Intel Pentium M dual code, which supports 8gb of RAM.
>
> Can I just unplug the HD and move it to the new server and boot it up?
>
> I assume that the NIC will need to be re-setup, but what other issues would there be?
>
> I am not running X at all. Doing apache, zimbra, mysql.

It usually works for me without much fuss. If you'd like to be certain
you can try doing a test installation on the new server. Once
installed, take a peek at the kernel parameters. If you see anything
markedly different, just add a stanza to the old system with the
parameters from the test installation before shutting it down.

You may also want to peek at any kernel modules that you load for
things like CPU scaling or other machine specific features.