-   -   How do I create a new menu category in GNOME ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/333992-how-do-i-create-new-menu-category-gnome.html)

Niki Kovacs 03-01-2010 04:50 PM

How do I create a new menu category in GNOME ?

Hi,

The title says it all. My GNOME desktop is in French, so here's what my
standard Applications (same word in french) menu looks like :

Applications > Accessoires (Utilities)
> Bureautique (Office)
> Graphisme (Graphics)
> Internet (Internet)
> Son et vidéo (Sound and Video)

Now I'm currently installing a medical application (Medintux) which
consists of several different "modules", e. g. programs where each one
does one thing. There are something like ten different modules, and I'd
like to create a new category in my main menu, so I have :

Applications > Medintux > User Management
> Diagnostics
> X-Rays
> Scanner management
> Prescriptions

Something like that.

I'm already familiar with creating *.desktop files and putting them in
/usr/share/applications and running update-desktop-database. But I can't
seem to be able to create a new category. I found some probably related
files in /usr/share/desktop-directories and tried to edit my custom
medintux.directory file, but to no avail.

Anyone here familiar with the innards of GNOME desktop menus?

Cheers,

Niki

JohnS 03-01-2010 05:22 PM

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 18:50 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The title says it all. My GNOME desktop is in French, so here's what my
> standard Applications (same word in french) menu looks like :
>
> Applications > Accessoires (Utilities)
> > Bureautique (Office)
> > Graphisme (Graphics)
> > Internet (Internet)
> > Son et vidéo (Sound and Video)
>
> Now I'm currently installing a medical application (Medintux) which
> consists of several different "modules", e. g. programs where each one
> does one thing. There are something like ten different modules, and I'd
> like to create a new category in my main menu, so I have :
>
> Applications > Medintux > User Management
> > Diagnostics
> > X-Rays
> > Scanner management
> > Prescriptions
>
> Something like that.
>
> I'm already familiar with creating *.desktop files and putting them in
> /usr/share/applications and running update-desktop-database. But I can't
> seem to be able to create a new category. I found some probably related
> files in /usr/share/desktop-directories and tried to edit my custom
> medintux.directory file, but to no avail.
>
> Anyone here familiar with the innards of GNOME desktop menus?
---
That should be the right way /usr/share/apps then update it...

I think your problem is you need to Crtl-Alt-Backspace as in restart
X.

By the wa how you like the app?

John

Niki Kovacs 03-01-2010 05:47 PM

JohnS a écrit :

> ---
> That should be the right way /usr/share/apps then update it...

1) *What* should be the right way ?

2) then update it... update what ?

Sorry, but this wasn't very helpful.

I want to create a new *main* menu category Applications > Medintux.
Just how should I go about that? Please be less elliptic.

Niki

PS: /usr/share/apps != /usr/share/applications... did you mean that? But
then, what to do with it?

JohnS 03-01-2010 06:56 PM

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 19:47 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> JohnS a écrit :
>
> > ---
> > That should be the right way /usr/share/apps then update it...
>
> 1) *What* should be the right way ?
>
> 2) then update it... update what ?
>
> Sorry, but this wasn't very helpful.
>
> I want to create a new *main* menu category Applications > Medintux.
> Just how should I go about that? Please be less elliptic.

------
1. Ok what I said was you are on the right way to doing it

2. Heres the easy way.....
Right Click on the Applications Menu Click on Edit Menus. I think you
can figure the rest out it's pretty easy.

OK manually you can put the *.desktop entry into /YourHomeDir/.gnome
or /home/.kde

Thankfully I had to learn the hard way. You get the easy way. Took me
a whole afternoon to figure it out.

John

Niki Kovacs 03-01-2010 08:15 PM

JohnS a écrit :

> 1. Ok what I said was you are on the right way to doing it
>
> 2. Heres the easy way.....
> Right Click on the Applications Menu Click on Edit Menus. I think you
> can figure the rest out it's pretty easy.
>
> OK manually you can put the *.desktop entry into /YourHomeDir/.gnome
> or /home/.kde
>
> Thankfully I had to learn the hard way. You get the easy way. Took me
> a whole afternoon to figure it out.

That's on a per-user basis. I need the new menu entry for *all* users.
Any idea how I could achieve that ?

Frank Cox 03-01-2010 08:30 PM

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 22:15 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> That's on a per-user basis. I need the new menu entry for *all*
> users.
> Any idea how I could achieve that ?

Do the users already exist? If not, put your custom setup
into /etc/skel.

JohnS 03-01-2010 09:03 PM

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 15:30 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 22:15 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > That's on a per-user basis. I need the new menu entry for *all*
> > users.
> > Any idea how I could achieve that ?
>
> Do the users already exist? If not, put your custom setup
> into /etc/skel.
----
No no No...

Here I found my link I used to do it amnually: It is for system wide...
http://wiki.matusov.sk/howto/gnome-menu-edit

This is what I went by to do it so I could include the files in my rpm
build, which took a whole afternoon about. I would have given it to you
earlier but it took some backups to go through to find it.

John

Niki Kovacs 03-02-2010 08:18 AM

JohnS a écrit :

> No no No...
>
> Here I found my link I used to do it amnually: It is for system wide...
> http://wiki.matusov.sk/howto/gnome-menu-edit
>
> This is what I went by to do it so I could include the files in my rpm
> build, which took a whole afternoon about.

Thanks very much for the link! That did the trick. Now I have a shiny
new entry 'Medintux' in my 'Applications' menu.

Have a nice day,

Niki

JohnS 03-03-2010 11:11 AM

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 10:18 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> JohnS a écrit :
>
> > No no No...
> >
> > Here I found my link I used to do it amnually: It is for system wide...
> > http://wiki.matusov.sk/howto/gnome-menu-edit
> >
> > This is what I went by to do it so I could include the files in my rpm
> > build, which took a whole afternoon about.
>
> Thanks very much for the link! That did the trick. Now I have a shiny
> new entry 'Medintux' in my 'Applications' menu.

Ok now how you like it?

John

Niki Kovacs 03-03-2010 11:32 AM

JohnS a écrit :

>> Thanks very much for the link! That did the trick. Now I have a shiny
>> new entry 'Medintux' in my 'Applications' menu.
>>
> Ok now how you like it?

Great. But check for yourself :

http://www.microlinux.fr/images/menugnome.png

Cheers,