-   -   SOLVED - Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/333611-solved-shutdown-poweroff-does-not-power-off-machine.html)

"Scot P. Floess" 02-28-2010 10:01 PM

SOLVED - Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine

Neat - I'll give that a try. The machine is running Fedora right
now...but maybe I'll reinstall CentOS :)

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Michael Klinosky wrote:

> Eero Volotinen wrote:
>> On 1/4/10 10:57 PM, Scot P. Floess wrote:
>>> I've got a Dell Optiplex GX240 I am running CentOS 5.4
>>> (kernel 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.centos.plus)... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
>>> it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself off.
>>> However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
>>> completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
>>> Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
>>> believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
>>> same results...
>>>
>>> Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
>>
>> buggy acpi support on server? Try updating to latest bios?
>
> No, I'm not the OP. But, I found a solution for my system.
>
> During boot, I noticed an error line --
> "BIOS fails cutoff age - ACPI might not work. Use acpi=force to fix."
>
> So I did; the machine now actually turns off after shutdown.

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros

ken 03-01-2010 04:01 PM

On 02/28/2010 05:25 PM Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Eero Volotinen wrote:
>> On 1/4/10 10:57 PM, Scot P. Floess wrote:
>>> ... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
>>> it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself off.
>>> However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
>>> completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
>>> Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
>>> believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
>>> same results...
>>>

> No, I'm not the OP. But, I found a solution for my system.
>
> During boot, I noticed an error line --
> "BIOS fails cutoff age - ACPI might not work. Use acpi=force to fix."
>
> So I did; the machine now actually turns off after shutdown.

Great work, Michael! Where did you insert/type in "acpi=force"?

Michael Klinosky 03-01-2010 10:27 PM

ken wrote:
>> No, I'm not the OP. But, I found a solution for my system.
>>
>> During boot, I noticed an error line --
>> "BIOS fails cutoff age - ACPI might not work. Use acpi=force to fix."
>>
>> So I did; the machine now actually turns off after shutdown.
>
> Great work, Michael! Where did you insert/type in "acpi=force"?

In /boot/grub/grub.conf, there is a line (there may be more) that begins
with 'kernel' - put it at the end of that line.

"Scot P. Floess" 06-02-2010 01:37 AM

SOLVED - Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine

Finally moved that machine over to CentOS 5.5 - and tried the
acpi=force....

It worked!

Thanks again - that is awesome!!!!