Old 02-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default cron mystery

I've just noticed that cron.daily, etc,
do not seem to be running on my CentOS-5.4 system.
The scripts in /etc/cron.d/ all run fine,
but those in /etc/cron.hourly, etc, seem to be ignored.

I see that according to /var/log/cron
these commands are seen, eg

Feb 28 18:01:01 helen crond[6680]: (root) CMD (run-parts /etc/cron.hourly)

but none of the scripts in this directory
seem to be touched.
I've tried running them by hand, and this seems to work fine.

Is there some problem, or subtlety, about crond under CentOS?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Robert Nichols

On 02/28/2010 01:00 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've just noticed that cron.daily, etc,
> do not seem to be running on my CentOS-5.4 system.
> The scripts in /etc/cron.d/ all run fine,
> but those in /etc/cron.hourly, etc, seem to be ignored.
>
> I see that according to /var/log/cron
> these commands are seen, eg
>
> Feb 28 18:01:01 helen crond[6680]: (root) CMD (run-parts /etc/cron.hourly)
>
> but none of the scripts in this directory
> seem to be touched.
> I've tried running them by hand, and this seems to work fine.
>
> Is there some problem, or subtlety, about crond under CentOS?

Missing execute permissions on the scripts, perhaps??

Do NOT delete it.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM
John Doe

From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net>
> The scripts in /etc/cron.d/ all run fine,
> but those in /etc/cron.hourly, etc, seem to be ignored.

Tried:
printf "#"'!'"/bin/bash
touch /tmp/cron.test
" > /etc/cron.hourly/cront.test; chmod 755 /etc/cron.hourly/cront.test

Next hour:
$ ll /tmp/cron.test
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Mar 1 13:01 /tmp/cron.test

Did you run your script has the cron user...?
Do you have the following in your /etc/crontab?
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly

JD