Old 02-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Alan McKay

Default emergency! linux kickstart pxe boot needed

Hey folks,

I'm at colocaiton in the middle of a big rebuild and it seems I have a
faulty CD rom in the server that I need to put Centos on via
Kickstart. So I cannot boot the Centos 5.4 net install CD.

Is PXE kickstart easy to set up? I have a laptop here with DHCP
already going. I google and a bunch of stuff comes up but it does
not look simple.

I'm just shooting htis out ther eon the odd chance someone gets it
soon nad knows of a really easy howto for this

thanks!

Old 02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/28 Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com>:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm at colocaiton in the middle of a big rebuild and it seems I have a
> faulty CD rom in the server that I need to put Centos on via
> Kickstart. * So I cannot boot the Centos 5.4 net install CD.
>
> Is PXE kickstart easy to set up? *I have a laptop here with DHCP
> already going. * I google and a bunch of stuff comes up but it does
> not look simple.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE , maybe it's a bit easier to
download full centos dvd and install from it?

--
Eero

Old 02-28-2010, 03:58 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Is PXE kickstart easy to set up? I have a laptop here with DHCP
>already going. I google and a bunch of stuff comes up but it does
>not look simple.

Sure, http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Installation_Guide/ch-pxe.html

Also, if you have an OS on the server, you can tweak grub to boot into
install and pull from a url instead of disc, and look for a ks file as
well.

jlc

Old 02-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Benjamin Donnachie

On 28 Feb 2010, at 16:51, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm at colocaiton in the middle of a big rebuild and it seems I have a
> faulty CD rom in the server that I need to put Centos on via
> Kickstart.

Had a similar problem and easiest solution in the end was to buy a USB
CD drive from local computer store.

Good luck!

Ben

Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Ian Murray

> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE , maybe it's a bit easier to
> download full centos dvd and install from it?

It's a hardware issue with the server drive. Having said that, the CentOS net install CD is pretty small, so server's drive might read it enough to get going...