Old 02-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Bowie Bailey

Default Temperature sensor

Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with
Linux? I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple
sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know
if the server room is getting hot.

--
Bowie

Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Benjamin Franz

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with
> Linux? I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple
> sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know
> if the server room is getting hot
There is a good chance that lm-sensors supports your servers with no
additional hardware needed. To configure lm-sensors, run
'sensors-detect' as root. If your cpu/motherboard is supported you will
be able to read system temps directly either using SNMP or by scraping
'sensors' output.

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Dominik Zyla

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:00:21AM -0500, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with
> Linux? I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple
> sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know
> if the server room is getting hot.

Hi,

Any RS-232 temperature sensor should do the job.

--
Dominik Zyla

Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Dominik Zyla

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 08:13:56AM -0800, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with
> > Linux? I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple
> > sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know
> > if the server room is getting hot
> There is a good chance that lm-sensors supports your servers with no
> additional hardware needed. To configure lm-sensors, run
> 'sensors-detect' as root. If your cpu/motherboard is supported you will
> be able to read system temps directly either using SNMP or by scraping
> 'sensors' output.

But it'll not give information about temperature in server room.

--
Dominik Zyla

Old 02-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Dominik Zyla <gavroche@gavroche.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:00:21AM -0500, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with
>> Linux? *I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple
>> sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know
>> if the server room is getting hot.
>
> Hi,
>
> Any RS-232 temperature sensor should do the job.

The USB ones also (generally) work with CentOS, though you may need to
resort to reading the USB device with a script and doing your own
graphing and alerting.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Dale Dellutri

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey@buc.com> wrote:

Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with

Linux? *I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple

sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know

if the server room is getting hot.
I;m not sure what you consider "cheap".* I've* used a Sensatronics Model E4,
for which I've written my own daemon software to take a reading and log it

every x minutes.* I've also had a Sensaphone Model 1104 which can
automatically call multiple phone numbers and play a message about
fault conditions.

Each of these were in the $400 to $600 range (with sensors).

--
Dale Dellutri

Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/26 Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey@buc.com>:
> Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with
> Linux? *I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple
> sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know
> if the server room is getting hot.

http://www.akcp.com/company/sensorProbe2.htm (sensorprobe2) is nice,
cheap and with ethernet connection.

works with nagios fine..

--
Eero

Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM
"Mathew S. McCarrell"

You might find this useful: http://quozl.us.netrek.org/ts/
--
Mathew S. McCarrell
Clarkson University '10

mccarrms@gmail.com
mccarrms@clarkson.edu
1-518-314-9214

Old 02-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Michel van Deventer

Hi,

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 17:18 +0100, Dominik Zyla wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 08:13:56AM -0800, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> > Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with
> > > Linux? I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple
> > > sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know
> > > if the server room is getting hot
> > There is a good chance that lm-sensors supports your servers with no
> > additional hardware needed. To configure lm-sensors, run
> > 'sensors-detect' as root. If your cpu/motherboard is supported you will
> > be able to read system temps directly either using SNMP or by scraping
> > 'sensors' output.
>
> But it'll not give information about temperature in server room.
I use 1-wire devices with CentOS.
See http://owfs.org/
If you google a bit there are many suppliers who sell complete kits for
serial and USB (I use USB) connections for a fair price.
Maybe it's a bit overkill for 1 sensor, but its easy to connect many
sensors to a machine (I have about 20 ).

You can make it really cheap if you have some soldering skills

Regards,

Michel

Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 PM
"nate"

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Does anyone know of a cheap temperature sensor that will work with
> Linux? I don't need a fancy monitoring appliance, I just want a simple
> sensor that I can connect to one of my monitoring servers to let me know
> if the server room is getting hot.

I don't know what your idea of cheap is, but I use Servertech PDUs
exclusively and their Smart and Switched models are network aware and
have optional temperature/humidity probes which you can query via
SNMP. This is handy because you then have sensors essentially built
into each and every rack. Pretty simple to have nagios query the
SNMP value and alert. Also am having cacti graph the data as well.
Most of the servertech PDUs the sensors plug directly into the PDU,
on some of them it requires an add-on module. Each PDU typically
supports 2 sensors, the cables are about 10 feet.

About 5 years ago at a company I deployed a Sensatronics model E4
which has up to 16 probe inputs, and they have sensors with cables
up to something like 300 feet. Monitorable by a simple http server
and I believe it has SNMP as well.

They have fancier monitoring appliances as well with alerting and
stuff though they weren't out when I was using their stuff.

nate