Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Default SMARTD (?)

Ok, I saw more sectors on a drive yesterday, so this morning, no one was
running on it, and I took it out of use, then bounced it onto a DVD, and
ran fsck -c (check for bad blocks). It finished. I bounce the server.

And SMARTD reports the sectors as "currently unreadable (pending)
sectors", and "offline uncorrectable sectors".

Does smartd cache its info somewhere, or is it reading what fsck already
marked as bad? And this has happened before, under 5.3, and under
continuing current updates of 5.4....

mark

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Robert Nichols

> Ok, I saw more sectors on a drive yesterday, so this morning, no one was
> running on it, and I took it out of use, then bounced it onto a DVD, and
> ran fsck -c (check for bad blocks). It finished. I bounce the server.
>
> And SMARTD reports the sectors as "currently unreadable (pending)
> sectors", and "offline uncorrectable sectors".
>
> Does smartd cache its info somewhere, or is it reading what fsck already
> marked as bad? And this has happened before, under 5.3, and under
> continuing current updates of 5.4....

smartd queries the drive directly. Running "fsck -c" will have caused the
drive to discover all of the unreadable sectors within that file system and
mark them as "pending reallocation". Those sectors will remain in the
"pending" state and visibly bad to the OS until the next time they are
written. If you were able to copy all of the files from that FS without
error, that suggests that all of the bad sectors are in free space, and
you could stimulate reallocation by filling all of the free space with
zeros:

mount /dev/{whatever} /mnt
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/xxxxxx bs=64k
sync
rm /mnt/xxxxxx
umount /mnt

Then run "smartctl -A" on the drive and see if it still reports pending
sectors.

Of course if that drive is continuing to develop new bad sectors you
should get rid of it immediately.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Mike McCarty

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Ok, I saw more sectors on a drive yesterday, so this morning, no one was
> running on it, and I took it out of use, then bounced it onto a DVD, and
> ran fsck -c (check for bad blocks). It finished. I bounce the server.
>
> And SMARTD reports the sectors as "currently unreadable (pending)
> sectors", and "offline uncorrectable sectors".

I recommend to replace that disc ASAP. When they start having to
reallocate more sectors, they are in a pending complete failure state.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM

> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Ok, I saw more sectors on a drive yesterday, so this morning, no one was
>> running on it, and I took it out of use, then bounced it onto a DVD, and
>> ran fsck -c (check for bad blocks). It finished. I bounce the server.
>>
>> And SMARTD reports the sectors as "currently unreadable (pending)
>> sectors", and "offline uncorrectable sectors".
>
> I recommend to replace that disc ASAP. When they start having to
> reallocate more sectors, they are in a pending complete failure state.

Actually, the f/s is back in read-only mode, so I'm going to do that. It
still bothers me that after an fsck -c, and a reboot, that SMARTD still
saw the same number of sectors as bad.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 15:23 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> <snip>

> I recommend to replace that disc ASAP. When they start having to
> reallocate more sectors, they are in a pending complete failure state.

I second that. I had a SATA drive that showed a few bad sectors in 2008
sometime. I got the vendor software (DOS version) and ran the diags and
repair. Used it for another year or so.

Bad sectors started appearing again and I knew what this meant. Started
taking more frequent backups. When it was convenient, downloaded the
latest diags from the vendor, ran it repeatedly and every time it found
and repaired more bad sectors and finally confirmed the drive was NG.
Warranty exchange was easy and prompt.

If you've been through a small initial set of bad sectors and are now
seeing more (especially if you ran the vendor's software), the drive is
living on borrowed time.

This has been characteristic of drives for decades - a few early defects
may appear, re-map and the drive works a very long time but when more
start appearing a slow death is in progress.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:11 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 16:27 -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> >> Ok, I saw more sectors on a drive yesterday, so this morning, no one was
> >> running on it, and I took it out of use, then bounced it onto a DVD, and
> >> ran fsck -c (check for bad blocks). It finished. I bounce the server.
> >>
> >> And SMARTD reports the sectors as "currently unreadable (pending)
> >> sectors", and "offline uncorrectable sectors".
> >
> > I recommend to replace that disc ASAP. When they start having to
> > reallocate more sectors, they are in a pending complete failure state.
> >
> Actually, the f/s is back in read-only mode, so I'm going to do that. It
> still bothers me that after an fsck -c, and a reboot, that SMARTD still
> saw the same number of sectors as bad.

That's because fsck remaps /file system/ blocks to spares while the
firmware/vendor diags handles media sectors. So if you fsck's inumerable
times, the drive firmware is not affected and still sees the /original/
bad sectors until those are re-mapped.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--