Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default mod_proxy and html rewriting

Looks like proxying a site that uses dynamically generated urls that include the
bound ip of the server needs a module to rewrite links in html. Are there any mods
shipped in base that can do what mod_proxy_html mod_xml2enc can for this?

Thanks,
jlc

Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/24/2010 11:31 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Looks like proxying a site that uses dynamically generated urls that include the
> bound ip of the server needs a module to rewrite links in html. Are there any mods
> shipped in base that can do what mod_proxy_html mod_xml2enc can for this?

I don't think so. In later httpd versions something is included in the
core to do content rewriting (mod_sed?), but for now you can build the
mod_proxy_html module with apxs and include it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:57:16AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 2/24/2010 11:31 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > Looks like proxying a site that uses dynamically generated urls that include the
> > bound ip of the server needs a module to rewrite links in html. Are there any mods
> > shipped in base that can do what mod_proxy_html mod_xml2enc can for this?
>
> I don't think so. In later httpd versions something is included in the
> core to do content rewriting (mod_sed?), but for now you can build the
> mod_proxy_html module with apxs and include it.

mod_substitute is included in later Apache's and does a great job. I
actually like it better than mod_proxy_html, since the latter has a
tendency to rewrite a _lot_ of stuff to make it "valid" HTML/XHTML.

Not that that's necessarily a terrible thing, but sometimes I just want
to change what I told it to change...

I used the SRPM from RHWAS to update to the latest Apache on EL5.

Ray

Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>mod_substitute is included in later Apache's and does a great job. I
>actually like it better than mod_proxy_html, since the latter has a
>tendency to rewrite a _lot_ of stuff to make it "valid" HTML/XHTML.
>
>Not that that's necessarily a terrible thing, but sometimes I just want
>to change what I told it to change...
>
>I used the SRPM from RHWAS to update to the latest Apache on EL5.

Great, the issue I am getting is the browser doesn't understand the
rewritten content as a result of xhtml issues.

Rh's ftp shows httpd-2.2.8-1.el5s2.src.rpm for this rpm as latest.

I'll give a go at compiling this to try mod_substitute.

Thanks guys!
jlc

Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 04:26:29PM +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >mod_substitute is included in later Apache's and does a great job. I
> >actually like it better than mod_proxy_html, since the latter has a
> >tendency to rewrite a _lot_ of stuff to make it "valid" HTML/XHTML.
> >
> >Not that that's necessarily a terrible thing, but sometimes I just want
> >to change what I told it to change...
> >
> >I used the SRPM from RHWAS to update to the latest Apache on EL5.
>
> Great, the issue I am getting is the browser doesn't understand the
> rewritten content as a result of xhtml issues.
>
> Rh's ftp shows httpd-2.2.8-1.el5s2.src.rpm for this rpm as latest.
>
> I'll give a go at compiling this to try mod_substitute.

2.2.13 should be the latest...

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/RHWAS/SRPMS/httpd-2.2.13-2.el5s2.src.rpm

Ray

Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/25/2010 10:26 AM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> mod_substitute is included in later Apache's and does a great job. I
>> actually like it better than mod_proxy_html, since the latter has a
>> tendency to rewrite a _lot_ of stuff to make it "valid" HTML/XHTML.
>>
>> Not that that's necessarily a terrible thing, but sometimes I just want
>> to change what I told it to change...
>>
>> I used the SRPM from RHWAS to update to the latest Apache on EL5.
>
> Great, the issue I am getting is the browser doesn't understand the
> rewritten content as a result of xhtml issues.

I ended up using the ProxyHTMLExtended mode to catch the stuff in
javascript, etc.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Nux

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

>> mod_substitute is included in later Apache's and does a great job. I
>> actually like it better than mod_proxy_html, since the latter has a
>> tendency to rewrite a _lot_ of stuff to make it "valid" HTML/XHTML.
>>
>> Not that that's necessarily a terrible thing, but sometimes I just want
>> to change what I told it to change...
>>
>> I used the SRPM from RHWAS to update to the latest Apache on EL5.
>
> Great, the issue I am getting is the browser doesn't understand the
> rewritten content as a result of xhtml issues.
>
> Rh's ftp shows httpd-2.2.8-1.el5s2.src.rpm for this rpm as latest.
>
> I'll give a go at compiling this to try mod_substitute.
>
> Thanks guys!
> jlc

No need to ditch stock Apache:
http://repo.lastdot.org/webstack/5/i386/mod_substitute-2.2.11-1.el5.ld.i386.rpm