Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
"nate"

Default Desperately need help with multi-core NIC performance

Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi
>
> So is that the limit? I have heard people being able to run like 10K
> call channels before max out CPU cap.

I would verify the network throughput of your system to make sure
the NIC/switch/etc are functioning normally, I use iperf to do
this, really simple tool to use just need two systems.

On a good network you should be able to sustain roughly 900+Mbit/s
with standard frame sizes and iperf on a single gigE link(hopefully
with no tuning)

sample run:

Client connecting to pd1-bgas01, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 205 KByte (default)
[ 3] local 10.16.1.12 port 54559 connected with 10.16.1.11 port 5001
[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 1.06 GBytes 912 Mbits/sec

there are lots of options you can use to configure iperf to
simulate various types of traffic.

nate

Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Todd Denniston

Pete Kay wrote, On 02/24/2010 06:08 PM:
> Hi
>
> So is that the limit? I have heard people being able to run like 10K
> call channels before max out CPU cap.

were those people running g.711 or something using less bandwidth?

And why are you thinking CPU cap?
What is the load average (from top or uptime)?
In top** (after pressing 1) are you seeing processors that are not idling or are in large wait states?
[purpose of these questions is to either get information for us to understand that you have a CPU
problem, or point it out to you that you don't]

** there are better applications than top for seeing where the processors are spending their time,
but my brain is mush for remembering them right now.
--
Todd Denniston

Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 AM
Agile Aspect

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Todd Denniston
<Todd.Denniston@tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil> wrote:
> Pete Kay wrote, On 02/24/2010 06:08 PM:
>> Hi
>>
>> So is that the limit? *I have heard people being able to run like 10K
>> call channels before max out CPU cap.
>>

> were those people running g.711 or something using less bandwidth?
>
> And why are you thinking CPU cap?
> What is the load average (from top or uptime)?
> In top** (after pressing 1) are you seeing processors that are not idling or are in large wait states?
> [purpose of these questions is to either get information for us to understand that you have a CPU
> problem, or point it out to you that you don't]
>

> ** there are better applications than top for seeing where the processors are spending their time,
> but my brain is mush for remembering them right now.

The follow might help

mpstat -P ALL 2 5

Might need to install it

yum install sysstat

See

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sebastien.godard/

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:11 AM

> So is that the limit? I have heard people being able to run like 10K
> call channels before max out CPU cap.

I would verify the network throughput of your system to make sure the NIC/switch/etc are functioning normally, I use iperf to do this, really simple tool to use just need two systems.

On a good network you should be able to sustain roughly 900+Mbit/s with standard frame sizes and iperf on a single gigE link(hopefully with no tuning)

Just for reference...
On a slightly less-then-optimal network i could get 900Mbps between an HP DL380 and an old IBM-T43, both with 1Gb nics and no tuning at all, through corporate network.

Between two DL380 with 10GB nics i got a performance boost (2500Mb -> 6500Mb) after i raised the MTU to 8K

hw