Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Tim Nelson

Default Recommended PCIe SATA/SAS Controller?

Greetings all-

I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!

--Tim

Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/24 Tim Nelson <tnelson@rockbochs.com>:
> Greetings all-
>
> I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!

how about areca or 3ware controller?

--
Eero

Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
John R Pierce

Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings all-
>
> I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!

LSI Logic 1032E or whatevr the P/N is, available for both PCI-X and
PCI-E x4 slots, I believe.

ignore the raid 0/1/10 feature if you don't want to use it.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM
"nate"

Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings all-
>
> I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro
> 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system
> will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!

I've had good luck with a ATTO SAS PCIe HBA using with a tape
library. The driver for this particular card wasn't included
with CentOS at the time but might be with the latest version.

http://www.attotech.com/

The drivers are open source, I have no past experience with
ATTO it was recommended to me by a tape backup software vendor
for their performance and stability under linux.

I am using the
"ExpressSAS H644
Low-Profile 4-Internal/4-External Port 6Gb/s SAS/SATA
PCIe 2.0 Host Adapter"

nate

Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
John R Pierce

Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings all-
>
> I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!

is this for internal or external or both? how many SAS ports you
need? do you need SFF x4 sas ports or discrete x1 sata ports (of
course, the former can be converted to the latter with an 'octopus' cable).

the LSI stuff I previously recommended covers a wide range of this, for
instance, the 3081E-R has 2 internal SFF-8087 x4 connectors, the
9212-4i4e has a SFF8088 x4 external connector and 4 x1 SATA internal
connectors, etc etc. you need to know what sort of chassis or
backplane you're connecting to... most 2U servers have a drive
backplane... these backplanes can connect to the HBA via a range of
options, SAS supports a full multiplexor (eg 4 channels to 12 drives),
while plain SATA only supports a simple expander (eg, 1 channel to 4 drives)

Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Max Hetrick

Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings all-
>
> I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!

Look at the Promise non-raid cards. I just bought a normal PCI Promise
SATA300 TX4 card that just works and boots fine. I'm sure they have an
equivalent for PCIe.

http://www.promise.com/

Regards,
Max

Old 02-24-2010, 06:08 PM
John R Pierce

Max Hetrick wrote:
> Tim Nelson wrote:
>
>> Greetings all-
>>
>> I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!
>>

> Look at the Promise non-raid cards. I just bought a normal PCI Promise
> SATA300 TX4 card that just works and boots fine. I'm sure they have an
> equivalent for PCIe.

do those have SFF x4 SAS connectors? when I just looked at
Supermicro's 2U chassis, thats what most of them used for their drive
backplanes. the typical 2U today takes 12 3.5" drives or 24 2.5".
dealing with that many discrete SATA cables would be a mess.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Max Hetrick

John R Pierce wrote:

> do those have SFF x4 SAS connectors? when I just looked at
> Supermicro's 2U chassis, thats what most of them used for their drive
> backplanes. the typical 2U today takes 12 3.5" drives or 24 2.5".
> dealing with that many discrete SATA cables would be a mess.

I don't know. You'll have to look at the cards on their site to see what
connections are supported.

Max

Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:56 AM, Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings all-
>
> I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!

Anything that uses a Silicon Image 3124 chip would do. The challenge is
to find one that does not try to fleece you just for a fake-raid bios.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 PM
John R Pierce

Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:56 AM, Tim Nelson wrote:
>
>> Greetings all-
>>
>> I need to purchase a PCIe SATA or SAS controller(non-raid) for a Supermicro 2U system. It should be directly bootable. Any recommendations? The system will be running CentOS 5.4 as an LTSP system. Thanks!
>>

> Anything that uses a Silicon Image 3124 chip would do. The challenge is
> to find one that does not try to fleece you just for a fake-raid bios.

we still don't know what SAS/SATA backplane his 2U chassis has, so its
premature to specify the controller.

IMHO, the SIL stuff is weak sauce for a server, and totally unsuitable
for a server using a SAS backplane.