Old 02-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann

Default recommendation for simple wiki S/W to run on centos 5.4?

On 24/02/2010 12:06, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> any testimonials for some simple wiki software to run on centos 5.4
> on an intranet? all i'm after is something uncomplicated that
> (ideally) yum installs, and that others can start using to start
> sharing useful info, nothing more. thoughts?

I use PmWiki[1]. Just a bunch of php files and you don't need a db so it
is really easy to set up. Lots of skins and the ML is really good. Been
running it for quite a while and never any problems.

Cheers Didi

[1] http://www.pmwiki.org/

--
Hoffmann Geerd-Dietger
http://contact.ribalba.de

Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Paul Bijnens

On 2010-02-24 13:06, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> any testimonials for some simple wiki software to run on centos 5.4
> on an intranet? all i'm after is something uncomplicated that
> (ideally) yum installs, and that others can start using to start
> sharing useful info, nothing more. thoughts?

I'm becoming a fan of dokuwiki (http://www.dokuwiki.org/).
It stores the content in plain text files, so you can even use it to
document how to fix a broken wikisetup.

--
Paul Bijnens, Xplanation Technology Services Tel +32 16 397.525
Interleuvenlaan 86, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM Fax +32 16 397.552

Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Les Mikesell

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> any testimonials for some simple wiki software to run on centos 5.4
> on an intranet? all i'm after is something uncomplicated that
> (ideally) yum installs, and that others can start using to start
> sharing useful info, nothing more. thoughts?

I like twiki because it just uses the filesystem and is easy to back up, permits
attachments, and has a lot of add-on modules that can make it easier to use
(edit cells in tables, etc.). It's not the easiest to install but not too bad
either.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Bob McConnell

Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2010-02-24 13:06, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> any testimonials for some simple wiki software to run on centos 5.4
>> on an intranet? all i'm after is something uncomplicated that
>> (ideally) yum installs, and that others can start using to start
>> sharing useful info, nothing more. thoughts?
>
> I'm becoming a fan of dokuwiki (http://www.dokuwiki.org/).
> It stores the content in plain text files, so you can even use it to
> document how to fix a broken wikisetup.

I'll add my vote for dokuwiki. It was simple to set up on RedHat, even
with ACL to track updates. The software is all PHP, while the content is
mostly text files. It has content management built in, so backing out
inaccurate changes is simple. It does a nightly backup into compressed
files in each directory. We had a nightly cron job that copied those to
a second drive on the server, and copied that drive to a tape once a week.

It may not be installable with yum, but installation consists of copying
a tree of directories onto the web server. Take a good look at their
collection of add-on features. They make it incredibly flexible.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I'll add my vote for dokuwiki. It was simple to set up on RedHat, even
>with ACL to track updates. The software is all PHP, while the content is
>mostly text files. It has content management built in, so backing out
>inaccurate changes is simple. It does a nightly backup into compressed
>files in each directory. We had a nightly cron job that copied those to
>a second drive on the server, and copied that drive to a tape once a week.
>
>It may not be installable with yum, but installation consists of copying
>a tree of directories onto the web server. Take a good look at their
>collection of add-on features. They make it incredibly flexible.

I'll also agree with all of this, updates are trivial to apply and like they
said about the data being left in flat files makes it trivially portable.

It's been a solid aspect of my documentation.

jlc