Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Gavin Carr

Default Backup solution to backup /var/spool/imap above 150GB data

Have you read Brackup::Manual::Overview? Your questions are all answered in
the man pages there or linked from there.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 05:21:47PM +0530, Agnello George wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Gavin Carr <gavin@openfusion.com.au> wrote:
> > Brackup will backup to local disk, or remotely to ftp, sftp, Amazon S3, or
> > Rackspace CloudFiles targets/servers. So yes, on a lan you can backup over
> > ftp or sftp just fine.
> >
> > Re docs, install brackup, 'man Brackup::Manual::Overview'. I've also
> > written
> > a few blog posts on it: http://www.openfusion.net/tags/brackup.
> >
> I am trying to install the brackup app on my system, the documentations
> seems very helpful ( http://www.openfusion.net/net/fun_with_brackup)
> But i have a few queries with the config file :
> [TARGET:backups]
> type = Filesystem
> path = /backup
>
> [SOURCE:imapsource]
> path = /var/spool/imap
> chunk_size = 5m # what does this mean ????
> gpg_recipient = 5E1B3EC5 # what does this mean ????

man Brackup::Manual::Overview; man Brackup::Root

> [SOURCE:bradhome]
> chunk_size = 64MB
> path = /raid/bradfitz/
> ignore = ^.thumbnails/
> ignore = ^.kde/share/thumbnails/
> ignore = ^.ee/minis/
> ignore = ^build/
> ignore = ^(gqview|nautilus)/thumbnails/
>

> and suppose i want to backup it up to another server with scp / ssh how
> is this attatined .

man Brackup::Target::Sftp

> secondly in whant format is the backup maintained .

Backups are trees of file chunks, and a metadata file to put the chunks back
together as files. So you get de-duplication for free between files and
across backups.

Cheers,
Gavin

Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/24/2010 07:44 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Err.. raid is NOT backup solution.
>
> Neither is a snapshot in another location on the same machine.

Thats not true, raid is an online setup - different location could be
point in time, and on blockdev;s that dont share user access load. Which
in turn makes it easier to do intensive complete backups to offsite
without impacting user level of service the machine can deliver, amongst
other things[1].

Dont compare apples to banana's and call them oranges.

- KB

[1] Changeset and data/system model over time relation mapping for an
adaptive system sizing feedback loop! ( how'se that for buzzword
injection! )

Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Les Mikesell

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 07:44 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Err.. raid is NOT backup solution.
>> Neither is a snapshot in another location on the same machine.
>
> Thats not true, raid is an online setup - different location could be
> point in time, and on blockdev;s that dont share user access load. Which
> in turn makes it easier to do intensive complete backups to offsite
> without impacting user level of service the machine can deliver, amongst
> other things[1].
>
> Dont compare apples to banana's and call them oranges.

Yes and no... There's an overlapping set of possibilities that they do and don't
back up. They both cover single disk failures. They don't cover big operator
errors (rm -rf /), building/site disasters, some types of controller/electrical
issues, etc. The snapshots give you a short history that can help with small
user/operator errors at the expense of being out of date when the live disk
fails. So have several types of fruit to stay healthy.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Mike McCarty

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 07:44 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Err.. raid is NOT backup solution.
>> Neither is a snapshot in another location on the same machine.
>
> Thats not true, raid is an online setup - different location could be
> point in time, and on blockdev;s that dont share user access load. Which

I think that, without causing any more dispute, I can point out
that "backup" covers a wide range of solutions to a less broad
but still not uniquely one set of needs. No one of the means to
backup is a full solution to all the needs which "backup" satisfies.

Even when one is using the term "backup" narrowly in the sense
of "protection from disaster", there are still different kinds
of backup. For example, there is the "full disaster recovery"
or "bare metal" backup, which is intended to work with another
piece of identical hardware, starting with blank fixed storage,
and ending up with a working system which looks identical to the
original at the epoch at which the backup was made. This is
significantly different from one intended merely to restore the
user altered or created data on a machine which has been newly
installed with a compatible version of the OS, for example.

That's why one needs to know the intended use of the backup set
before making any recommendations on procedure and content of the
backup set.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Mike McCarty

Agnello George wrote:
> The requirement fro backup is not primarily for HDD failure , but human
> error failure . In case one of our user ( eg: the COO with huge mailbox
> size has delete all his certain very important mails, and he want to recover
> them , the contacts us as we are supposed to maintain his mail backup for a
> week, and we should restore his backup immediately ) this the main
> requirement for the backup and that too on the same server different
> partition .

Have you considered using a snapshot approach? By that, I mean one
which uses hard links to create the "backup", and as files get added/
modified, the data are copied, and links are created. Usually, one
has a snapshot directory with something like a daily snapshot, and
24 hourly ones, something like that.

Mike