Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 AM
John R Pierce

Default centos 4.8 dvd on virtualbox x86_64

I just installed VirtualBox latest version on a new Win7 Pro x86_64
desktop, and tried to create a 64bit CentOS 4.8 install for doing some
procedural testing... all install attempts hung at the samme place,
shortly after grub, it hangs at...

Dquot-cache hash table entries: 512 (order 0, 4096 bytes)

sadly, I didn't capture the rest of the console output prior to that.

32bit 4.8 boots and installs just fine. CPU is a Intel Core2Duo E7600
which supposedly has VT-x. System is a Dell Optiplex 755 (Intel G45 chipset)

anyone got a clue ?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
John R Pierce

John R Pierce wrote:
> I just installed VirtualBox latest version on a new Win7 Pro x86_64
> desktop, and tried to create a 64bit CentOS 4.8 install for doing some
> procedural testing... all install attempts hung at the samme place,
> shortly after grub, it hangs at...
>
> Dquot-cache hash table entries: 512 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
>
> sadly, I didn't capture the rest of the console output prior to that.
>

> 32bit 4.8 boots and installs just fine. CPU is a Intel Core2Duo E7600
> which supposedly has VT-x. System is a Dell Optiplex 755 (Intel G45 chipset)

same configuration, CentOS 5.4 x86_64 DVD.iso boots just fine and is
busy installing now.

must be something with the 2.6.9 64bit kernel, I guess.