-   -   What to backup? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/330928-what-backup.html)

Slack-Moehrle 02-23-2010 10:48 PM

What to backup?

Hi All,

I am now working on a plan of what to backup from various servers that I have running

I run Apache, so httpd.conf and /var/www/html

I run Zimbra currently, so /opt/zimbra/store, /opt/zimbra/my.cnf and /opt/zimbra/db/

I run MySQL, so /etc/my.cnf and /var/lib/mysql

Can I simply write a bash script to tar.gz these areas, scp them and put it in a cron job?

Is there anything special that I have to do with MySQL since it is running?

If helpful, I can take what I learn and update the Wiki if there is not already a procedure for doing these operations on it.

-Jason

Les Mikesell 02-23-2010 10:53 PM

What to backup?

On 2/23/2010 5:48 PM, Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am now working on a plan of what to backup from various servers that I have running
>
> I run Apache, so httpd.conf and /var/www/html
>
> I run Zimbra currently, so /opt/zimbra/store, /opt/zimbra/my.cnf and /opt/zimbra/db/
>
> I run MySQL, so /etc/my.cnf and /var/lib/mysql
>
> Can I simply write a bash script to tar.gz these areas, scp them and put it in a cron job?
>
> Is there anything special that I have to do with MySQL since it is running?
>
> If helpful, I can take what I learn and update the Wiki if there is not already a procedure for doing these operations on it.

Whenever someone mentions backups, I always recommend backuppc because
it will do a better job with less archive space than anything else. You
can read about it here: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ and there is a
packaged version in the epel repository.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Ray Van Dolson 02-23-2010 10:56 PM

What to backup?

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 03:48:24PM -0800, Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am now working on a plan of what to backup from various servers
> that I have running
>
> I run Apache, so httpd.conf and /var/www/html
>
> I run Zimbra currently, so /opt/zimbra/store, /opt/zimbra/my.cnf and
> /opt/zimbra/db/
>
> I run MySQL, so /etc/my.cnf and /var/lib/mysql

Might not be a bad idea to back up all of /etc. I'm not familiar with
Zimbra, so you should refer to their documentation to make sure just
copying their "db" files is sufficient.

> Can I simply write a bash script to tar.gz these areas, scp them and
> put it in a cron job?

Sure.

> Is there anything special that I have to do with MySQL since it is
> running?

I'd take a look at:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/backup-methods.html

mysqldump works pretty well in most cases.

> If helpful, I can take what I learn and update the Wiki if there is
> not already a procedure for doing these operations on it.
>
> -Jason

Ray