Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
"Andy Graybeal"

Default multi-seated configuration

is anyone using a multi-seated configuration with CentOS?

I'm thinking about buying a two 2 headed nvidia card to run 4 separate
monitors and 4 separate keyboards and mice. I don't mind using either
proprietary or opensource nvidia drivers.

I'm looking for more information regarding centos and multiseated
configurations. I've read a bit about fedora and ubuntu with
multiseating, but I haven't found much with CentOS.

I'm fairly new to this so I would need pretty good documentation / hand
holding to accomplish this.

Any information would be helpful.

-Andy

Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/23/2010 2:13 PM, Andy Graybeal wrote:
> is anyone using a multi-seated configuration with CentOS?
>
> I'm thinking about buying a two 2 headed nvidia card to run 4 separate
> monitors and 4 separate keyboards and mice. I don't mind using either
> proprietary or opensource nvidia drivers.
>
> I'm looking for more information regarding centos and multiseated
> configurations. I've read a bit about fedora and ubuntu with
> multiseating, but I haven't found much with CentOS.
>
> I'm fairly new to this so I would need pretty good documentation / hand
> holding to accomplish this.
>
> Any information would be helpful.

I think that can be done but it is probably more common to use
old/underpowered PCs as thin clients using LTSP or something to
network-boot into X with a remote session from a more powerful server.
You get the same effect without the distance restrictions.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Andy Graybeal
<andy.graybeal@casanueva.com> wrote:
> is anyone using a multi-seated configuration with CentOS?
>
> I'm thinking about buying a two 2 headed nvidia card to run 4 separate
> monitors and 4 separate keyboards and mice. *I don't mind using either
> proprietary or opensource nvidia drivers.
>
> I'm looking for more information regarding centos and multiseated
> configurations. *I've read a bit about fedora and ubuntu with
> multiseating, but I haven't found much with CentOS.
>
> I'm fairly new to this so I would need pretty good documentation / hand
> holding to accomplish this.

It's pretty trivial on CentOS. Check these links:
http://wpkg.org/Configuring_multiseat_X_workstation
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat

The Nvidia binary drivers work fine. The main thing you're doing is
defining an extra keyboard and mouse attached to each Screen entry in
the xorg.conf file. Restart X and voila...

This works easily with USB keyboard/mouse...

Old 02-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 14:40 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I think that can be done but it is probably more common to use
> old/underpowered PCs as thin clients using LTSP or something to
> network-boot into X with a remote session from a more powerful
> server.

I use a half-dozen Neoware Capio 616 thin clients with LTSP 4.2 on
Centos 5. The setup works great, and you can get those thin clients on
ebay for $10 or $20 each, sometimes.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Andy Graybeal
<andy.graybeal@casanueva.com> wrote:
> is anyone using a multi-seated configuration with CentOS?
>
> I'm thinking about buying a two 2 headed nvidia card to run 4 separate
> monitors and 4 separate keyboards and mice. *I don't mind using either
> proprietary or opensource nvidia drivers.
>
> I'm looking for more information regarding centos and multiseated
> configurations. *I've read a bit about fedora and ubuntu with
> multiseating, but I haven't found much with CentOS.
>
> I'm fairly new to this so I would need pretty good documentation / hand
> holding to accomplish this.

One caveat is sound support.. I had to play around with the sound
driver loading so that root runs the sound server and allows the other
users to connect. If you ran two sound servers on different cards or
use some sort of network sound it may be easier. I ended up just
disabling the sound for the second user.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Raffaele Camarda

Here what i have been working for a while, it is a free for a two seat solution.
http://www2.userful.com/products/downloads/free-2-user

Regards