FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Robert Heller
 
Default creating partitions on a 2.7TB drive

At Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:11:48 +0000 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
> Thanks for your replies, just to clear things up, here is what I am seeing.
>
> If I reboot server "A" with the Ubuntu LiveCD, I get:
> ----------------------------------------
> # parted /dev/sda p
>
> Model: DELL PERC 5/i (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 2998GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
>
> Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
> 1 32.3kB 53.7GB 53.7GB primary ext3
> 2 53.7GB 62.3GB 8595MB primary linux-swap
> 3 62.3GB 83.8GB 21.5GB primary ext3
> 4 83.8GB 2199GB 2115GB primary xfs
>
> # fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 2998.4 GB, 2998424043520 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364537 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x852b68e5
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sda1 1 6528 52436128+ 83 Linux
> /dev/sda2 6529 7573 8393962+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/sda3 7574 10185 20980890 83 Linux
> /dev/sda4 10186 267349 2065669830 83 Linux
> ----------------------------------------
>
> Now when I try this with CentOS, I get:
> ----------------------------------------
> Error: msdos labels do not support devices that have more than 4294967295 sectors.
> -----------------------------------------
>
> straight away. I understand what you guys are saying about GPT and
> not being able to boot off it, etc but how did I end up in this
> situation? And is this dangerous?
>
> I am thinking that if this is possible, why not try and setup the
> second server the same way? But it just feels wrong that Ubuntu allows
> this and if CentOS does not, there must be a good reason.

I guessing one of these things is going on:

A) Ubuntu has *patched* versions of parted and fdisk that disable their
error checking (!).

B) Ubuntu has new versions of parted and fdisk that are more liberal
than the (older) versions shipped with CentOS.

What does

parted -v
and
fdisk -v

display under the Ubuntu LiveCD? BTW which version of Ubuntu are you
using? Hardy (8.4) or Karma (9.1)?


>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Robert Nichols
 
Default creating partitions on a 2.7TB drive

Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> Thanks for your replies, just to clear things up, here is what I am seeing.
>
> If I reboot server "A" with the Ubuntu LiveCD, I get:
> ----------------------------------------
> # parted /dev/sda p
>
> Model: DELL PERC 5/i (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 2998GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
>
> Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
> 1 32.3kB 53.7GB 53.7GB primary ext3
> 2 53.7GB 62.3GB 8595MB primary linux-swap
> 3 62.3GB 83.8GB 21.5GB primary ext3
> 4 83.8GB 2199GB 2115GB primary xfs
>
> # fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 2998.4 GB, 2998424043520 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364537 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x852b68e5
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sda1 1 6528 52436128+ 83 Linux
> /dev/sda2 6529 7573 8393962+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/sda3 7574 10185 20980890 83 Linux
> /dev/sda4 10186 267349 2065669830 83 Linux
> ----------------------------------------
>
> Now when I try this with CentOS, I get:
> ----------------------------------------
> Error: msdos labels do not support devices that have more than 4294967295 sectors.
> -----------------------------------------
>
> straight away. I understand what you guys are saying about GPT and not being able to boot off it, etc but how did I end up in this situation? And is this dangerous?
>
> I am thinking that if this is possible, why not try and setup the second server the same way? But it just feels wrong that Ubuntu allows this and if CentOS does not, there must be a good reason.

You realize that you're utilizing just 2TiB of that 2.7TiB drive, right?
It looks like the tools in Ubuntu simply partitioned as much of the drive
as they could handle with an msdos label and let the rest go to waste.

--
Bob Nichols "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
Do NOT delete it.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Khusro Jaleel
 
Default creating partitions on a 2.7TB drive

>
> Yes. Absolutely yes. One day you'll reboot and your partition table (and
> all your data) will be gone and unrecoverable. Trust me.
>
> And that reason is that it *will* die horribly and eat your data. Set up
> the small logical drive in the RAID BIOS as another poster detailed so
> nicely. Now. Before now.

Thanks, that is what I thought might be the case.

*sigh* It's a good thing I found this out, however I'll have to do a painful migration of the data off that drive now and re-partition, etc which is just a pain. I wish Ubuntu had *stopped* me and told me the first time that *this is not possible!*.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Khusro Jaleel
 
Default creating partitions on a 2.7TB drive

On 23 Feb 2010, at 18:02, Robert Heller wrote:
> I guessing one of these things is going on:
>
> A) Ubuntu has *patched* versions of parted and fdisk that disable their
> error checking (!).
>
> B) Ubuntu has new versions of parted and fdisk that are more liberal
> than the (older) versions shipped with CentOS.
>
> What does
>
> parted -v
> and
> fdisk -v

Yes, that is possible. The versions are:

# parted -v: 1.8.8

# fdisk -v: util-linux-ng 2.14.2

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Khusro Jaleel
 
Default creating partitions on a 2.7TB drive

On 23 Feb 2010, at 23:41, Robert Nichols wrote:
>
> You realize that you're utilizing just 2TiB of that 2.7TiB drive, right?
> It looks like the tools in Ubuntu simply partitioned as much of the drive
> as they could handle with an msdos label and let the rest go to waste.

Yes I'll fix this the next time once I re-partition the whole lot.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org