Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Default Tomcat does not end process.

Hi all,
I have got some problems with my tomcat installation
when I execute command*
# bin/shutdown.sh
It does not close the process that is running the tomcat.

Can any body please give me some idea; what is happening with the process.
Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Brian Mathis

I have got some problems with my tomcat installation
when I execute command*
# bin/shutdown.sh
It does not close the process that is running the tomcat.

Can any body please give me some idea; what is happening with the process.
Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey

You might have better luck on the tomcat mailing list.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/23/2010 1:07 AM, Vijay Shanker Dubey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have got some problems with my tomcat installation

Are you running the stock centos tomcat5 package?

> when I execute command
>
> # bin/shutdown.sh
>
> It does not close the process that is running the tomcat.

Does 'service tomcat5 stop' work like other services controlled by init
scripts? What JVM are you using?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Hi Les,
I am using tomcat6 package. My tomcat installations is not started as service.
Please guide me about the problem solving.Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> It does not close the process that is running the tomcat.
> Can any body please give me some idea; what is happening with the process.

I sometimes had similar issues with tomcat hanging by shutdown (but
with rather "exotic" deployments of Tomcat, not the standard one).

Installing the package 'tomcat-native' (from EPEL) usually solved
them, even if I could not really explain why.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/23/2010 10:24 AM, Vijay Shanker Dubey wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> I am using tomcat6 package. My tomcat installations is not started as
> service.
>
> Please guide me about the problem solving.

Is there some reason you can't run the stock package? If you can run
tomcat5 it is as simple as:
yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk tomcat5 tomcat5-webapps
to get a working setup. If you don't use an rpm packaged version you'll
have to set up your own init script to start/stop it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
JohnS

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 17:30 +0100, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> > It does not close the process that is running the tomcat.
> > Can any body please give me some idea; what is happening with the process.
>
> I sometimes had similar issues with tomcat hanging by shutdown (but
> with rather "exotic" deployments of Tomcat, not the standard one).
>
> Installing the package 'tomcat-native' (from EPEL) usually solved
> them, even if I could not really explain why.
----
I don't see where it its Tomcats problem to kill other running processes
if it's shut down? That should done as signal from tomcat to the
running tomcat apps right? Being a lil curious what is tomcat-native do
to fix it? I'm just curious to the fact that I'm considering using
tomcat for message translation.

John

Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/23/2010 10:40 AM, JohnS wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 17:30 +0100, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>>> It does not close the process that is running the tomcat.
>>> Can any body please give me some idea; what is happening with the process.
>>
>> I sometimes had similar issues with tomcat hanging by shutdown (but
>> with rather "exotic" deployments of Tomcat, not the standard one).
>>
>> Installing the package 'tomcat-native' (from EPEL) usually solved
>> them, even if I could not really explain why.
> ----
> I don't see where it its Tomcats problem to kill other running processes
> if it's shut down? That should done as signal from tomcat to the
> running tomcat apps right? Being a lil curious what is tomcat-native do
> to fix it? I'm just curious to the fact that I'm considering using
> tomcat for message translation.

If it starts them it should stop them. Has anyone done a comparison of
tomcat-native (looks to be tomcat6 with native APR code embedded) to the
stock centos tomcat5? Any incompatibilities?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Mathieu Baudier

>> running tomcat apps right? *Being a lil curious what is tomcat-native do
>> to fix it? *I'm just curious to the fact that I'm considering using
>> tomcat for message translation.
>
> If it starts them it should stop them. *Has anyone done a comparison of
> tomcat-native (looks to be tomcat6 with native APR code embedded) to the
> stock centos tomcat5? *Any incompatibilities?

Actually tomcat-native is just a JNI (Java Native Interface) bridge
with the APR library.
It therefore complements standard tomcat packages and do not replace them.

I assume that the one provided by EPEL is compatible with tomcat5
since this is this version that ships with RHEL/CentOS.
The tomcat-native in EPEL is a pretty recent version (1.1.18 whereas
1.1.20 has just been released:
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-native.cgi), so they probably ensure
compatibility with both Tomcat 5 and 6.

On our side, we use Tomcat 6 running as an OSGi bundle within an
Equinox OSGi runtime (we use the version packaged and optimized by
Spring Source in their enterprise bundle repository) and it is
compatible with the tomcat-native provided by EPEL.

As I said, tomcat-native solved some weird issues I had on Fedora
starting with Fedora 11, but that I don't have on CentOS 5.4 (I still
suggested it to the OP even if I don't think that it would be the most
rigorous approach)

Recently, I started to have some crashes with tomcat-native on my
(CentOS) development environment when under load and since I use a non
standard JDK and Tomcat (from a CentOS/EPEL point of view) I did not
take the time to dig further and simply removed it.

The problem when it crashes (as often with JNI) is that the whole JVM crashes.
The fact that a JVM rarely crashes is for me a big + of Java,
especially when running in an OSGi runtime where you can dynamically
correct and reload components.

So, the current state of my thoughts regarding tomcat-native is that
you should not assume that it will always be better to have it than
not (as I tended to).
It was apparently designed to bring httpd-like performances for huge
deployments and is probably a great tool in such settings, but I would
rather stay away from it until you are not sure that you really need
it.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Did not get anything relevant to solve my problem. Looking for something like what threads started by my web project.
Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey