Old 02-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Default OT: Torrent software choice

> Hi, I am writting this message in hope that you can be of a great help to
> me. My husband that has been on this site died suddenly Feb 4th) and I
> can not access my computer. He has a user name and password on the
> system. He has used the Linux and Red Hat to run the computer.... He
> would boot up the system and then I would do my email, documents, etc. I
> never thought to ask him his password or username. There is no one in
> our area that knows how to change the username and password on the Linux
> system... Can you or some one you may know help. I did find a Red Hat
> Boot disk... not sure what to do with it!!!!
>
> I am able to use this email so that is why I am sending this to you
> ,trying to find help. I can be reached through a friend if you can call
> me 970 208 3131..... or email... will be OK also............ I hope
> there is someone to help me get on my computer... Laura

Well, on the one hand, an email like this makes me *very* nervous, since
it reads like a scam, with questions like "how can you email here if you
can't get to his email?"

On the other hand, if true, it's utterly horrible - my ...late... wife
died that way, and it's not exactly a Big Sekret Of Sysadmins that all you
need to do is reboot the server, and assuming it shows the usual "booting
linux in x seconds", all you need to do is hit any key, then type 'e',
then scroll down to the line that starts with the word "kernel"; hit 'e'
again (no quotes, anywhere, of course), and at the end of the line, add
the letter s (for single user mode), then <enter>, then the letter b (for
boot).

It then comes up in single user mode, and all you need to do is to change
his password, if your email is under his account. You can
cat /etc/password
and you'll probably be able to figure out his username; then it's merely
passwd <hisusername>
and give a new password when prompted. When you're done, hit <ctrl-D>, and
let it come up, then you can log in.

mark

Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/22/2010 12:40 PM, Bob Taylor wrote:
> Hi, I am writting this message in hope that you can be of a great help
> to me. My husband that has been on this site died suddenly Feb 4th) and
> I can not access my computer. He has a user name and password on the
> system. He has used the Linux and Red Hat to run the computer.... He
> would boot up the system and then I would do my email, documents, etc.
> I never thought to ask him his password or username. There is no one in
> our area that knows how to change the username and password on the Linux
> system... Can you or some one you may know help. I did find a Red Hat
> Boot disk... not sure what to do with it!!!!
>
> I am able to use this email so that is why I am sending this to you
> ,trying to find help. I can be reached through a friend if you can call
> me 970 208 3131..... or email... will be OK also............ I hope
> there is someone to help me get on my computer... Laura

This information is pretty easy to find if you google 'linux password
recovery' so I'll ignore the possibility that this might be a hoax by
someone trying to break into someone else's computer. If this is a
default install with no extra work to secure grub, follow these
instructions:
http://linuxmall.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-recover-red-hat-linux-password.html

Note that the 'root' password it talks about is the one needed to do
system maintenance and updates. If you want to change the password for
some other user, use the command:
passwd username
and you'll be prompted to enter it twice to change it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
James Bensley

Going Off Top; My condolences to you Laura this is sad to hear.

Going On Topic; rTorrent with wTorrent does it for me.

James

Stephen Leacock - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
that I shall some day die, which is not so." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html

Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Steve Huff

On Feb 22, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Bob Taylor wrote:

> Hi, I am writting this message in hope that you can be of a great help to me. My husband that has been on this site died suddenly Feb 4th) and I can not access my computer. He has a user name and password on the system. He has used the Linux and Red Hat to run the computer.... He would boot up the system and then I would do my email, documents, etc. I never thought to ask him his password or username. There is no one in our area that knows how to change the username and password on the Linux system... Can you or some one you may know help. I did find a Red Hat Boot disk... not sure what to do with it!!!!
>
> I am able to use this email so that is why I am sending this to you ,trying to find help. I can be reached through a friend if you can call me 970 208 3131..... or email... will be OK also............ I hope there is someone to help me get on my computer... Laura

Laura,

I'd like to offer my condolences. My best recommendation would be for you to contact your local Linux User Group for assistance; a list is available here, organized by country and region:

http://www.linux.org/groups/

You may also be able to get assistance from Red Hat; their customer service contact page is here:

https://www.redhat.com/about/contact/dir/#custservice

-Steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v
http://five.sentenc.es

Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Niki Kovacs

Bob Taylor a écrit :
> Hi, I am writting this message in hope that you can be of a great help
> to me. My husband that has been on this site died suddenly Feb 4th) and
> I can not access my computer. He has a user name and password on the
> system. He has used the Linux and Red Hat to run the computer.... He
> would boot up the system and then I would do my email, documents, etc.
> I never thought to ask him his password or username.

Sorry if this is not the place, but there's some quirk in the logic. If
your late husband wrote to this list using his email address, then how
comes you are using it without knowing his username and password?

Niki Kovacs

Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 PM
James Bensley

There are various posts from "Bob Taylor" (bob8221@gmail.com) in the
list archives;

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-September/082799.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-August/079998.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-August/080297.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-April/075045.html

Again, my condolences Laura.

James

Pablo Picasso - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html

Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 PM
James Bensley

On 22 February 2010 20:31, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Sorry if this is not the place, but there's some quirk in the logic. If
> your late husband wrote to this list using his email address, then how
> comes you are using it without knowing his username and password?

She said "He would boot up the system and then I would do my email,
documents, etc.". So she can't get on the computer not his emails. She
could of used the forgotten password feature and rest his email
password or just known it anyway, but doesn't know the password for
their actual computer silly :P

James

Jonathan Swift - "May you live every day of your life." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_swift.html

Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Niki Kovacs

James Bensley a écrit :
> On 22 February 2010 20:31, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
>> Sorry if this is not the place, but there's some quirk in the logic. If
>> your late husband wrote to this list using his email address, then how
>> comes you are using it without knowing his username and password?
>
> She said "He would boot up the system and then I would do my email,
> documents, etc.". So she can't get on the computer not his emails. She
> could of used the forgotten password feature and rest his email
> password or just known it anyway, but doesn't know the password for
> their actual computer silly :P

I am truly sorry and I didn't mean to offend anyone. Allow that I offer
my condolences.

Niki Kovacs

Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 PM
John R Pierce

Bob Taylor wrote:
> Hi, I am writting this message in hope that you can be of a great help
> to me. My husband that has been on this site died suddenly Feb 4th)
> and I can not access my computer. He has a user name and password on
> the system. He has used the Linux and Red Hat to run the
> computer.... He would boot up the system and then I would do my
> email, documents, etc. I never thought to ask him his password or
> username. There is no one in our area that knows how to change the
> username and password on the Linux system... Can you or some one you
> may know help. I did find a Red Hat Boot disk... not sure what to do
> with it!!!!

in a nutshell, you boot the linux CD into 'linux rescue mode', then the
usernames are in the /etc/passwd file on the mounted hard drive, which
is I believe mounted as /a, so it would be /a/etc/passwd, and the
passwords themselves are encrypted in /etc/shadow ... its easiest to
edit /etc/shadow (probably as /a/etc/shadow due to the rescue mount),
then just zap out the password field.

whoever does this has to be reasonably competent with unix command line
tools like vi, there's no gui in the rescue environment.

a typical /etc/passwd file...

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:
....additional system accounts deleted...
nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:
pierce:x:500:510:John R Pierce:/home/pierce:/bin/bash
mudshark:x:502:510:Mud E Shark:/home/mudshark:/bin/bash

and the corresponding /etc/shadow file...

root:$**********************z/:13890:0:99999:7:-1:-1:134538772
bin:*:10810:0:99999:7:::
....system accounts trimmed.....
nobody:*:10810:0:99999:7:::
pierce:$******************0:14332:0:99999:7:-1:-1:134539876
mudshark:$*******************x:10815:0:99999:7:-1:-1:134538468

so two users on this systme are pierce and mudshark, everything before
nobody is a system account. I replaced the bulk of the password hash
with ******, you would remove everything between the : so a line would
look like...

root::13890:0:99999:7:-1:-1:134538772

(note there's now two colons between the username and the next field)

now that account can log on without a password.

hopefully you can find someone who knows enough linux to make sense of this.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 PM
John R Pierce

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Sorry if this is not the place, but there's some quirk in the logic. If
> your late husband wrote to this list using his email address, then how
> comes you are using it without knowing his username and password?

note she's using a gmail account.