Old 02-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Slack-Moehrle

Default eSATA drive enclosure of a full PC?

HI All,

I have a dilemma and I would appreciate advice

1. Get a good size case, mobo, processor, etc and put 8 hard drives it in and RAID them. (yes an 8 port SATA mobo). Running CentOS.

or

2. Get an eSATA enclosure that has room for 8 or 10 drives and just connect it to box?

I know that RAID is not a full proof backup, but I am looking for a solution to store all of my data, projects, music, etc, etc

Can I get thoughts for ideas for solutions?

Thank You
-Jason

Old 02-21-2010, 04:36 AM
John R Pierce

Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> HI All,
>
> I have a dilemma and I would appreciate advice
>
> 1. Get a good size case, mobo, processor, etc and put 8 hard drives it in and RAID them. (yes an 8 port SATA mobo). Running CentOS.
>
> or
>
> 2. Get an eSATA enclosure that has room for 8 or 10 drives and just connect it to box?

esata enclosure will be on a single SATA port, which will be a
bottleneck for 4 or more drives. maybe even for 3 drives. 8 or more
drives should be on a 4 channel SAS port at least.

how about getting something like a QNAP and putting your storage on the
network?

for instance, http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=134

Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 AM
Slack-Moehrle

Hi John,

Yes, I looked into this and I was looking for a solution with a large number of drives, but at a good cost point.

So you are saying a full fledged PC with an 8-port sata mobo is a better solution.

--Jason

Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Rudi Ahlers

HI All,

I have a dilemma and I would appreciate advice

1. Get a good size case, mobo, processor, etc and put 8 hard drives it in and RAID them. (yes an 8 port SATA mobo). Running CentOS.

or

2. Get an eSATA enclosure that has room for 8 or 10 drives and just connect it to box?

I know that RAID is not a full proof backup, but I am looking for a solution to store all of my data, projects, music, etc, etc

Can I get thoughts for ideas for solutions?

Thank You

-Jason

If you're building something on the cheap, then you could get an even cheaper setup with a 4port SATA motherboad, and an add 4port SATA PCI / PCI-e card.

Some of those eSATA enclosures will use 1x SATA port per HDD, and some even work on USB which is even worse.

If you can run each HDD on it's own port, you'll get optimal performance. For a cheap in-office storage, I use these: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=icy+dock&cid=704673817642 1693906&sa=title#p

It's basically a hot-swap cage, but I need to manually tell the OS that the drive was removed, since it doesn't run on a server back-plane. But it does the job as far as cheap storage goes
Put 4x 2TB HDD's in there and you have 4TB storage on RAID10*

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com

Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Slack-Moehrle

Hi Rudi,

>>If you're building something on the cheap, then you could get an even cheaper setup with a 4port SATA >>motherboad, and an add 4port SATA PCI / PCI-e card.

True, that would be each drive on its own port, which is optimal.

With 8 ports, I could get 8 x 2tb and and have 8th in RAID10.

What about this:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=8+x+sata&cid=13835643122069874118&sa=tit le#p

And just a normal PC with lots of drives?

-Jason

Old 02-21-2010, 06:11 AM
John R Pierce

Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Yes, I looked into this and I was looking for a solution with a large number of drives, but at a good cost point.
>
> So you are saying a full fledged PC with an 8-port sata mobo is a better solution.

yeah, its cheaper to go direct connect internal jbod. make sure the
drives get plenty of airflow, don't pack them too close together.

a bunch of vendors sell 5-in-3 sata hotswap adapters that hold 5 SATA
drives in 3 HH external bays of a jumbo tower chassis. they seem to run
about $100. each drive bay has its own sata port on the back of these.

example of one of these,
http://www.amazon.com/SUPERMICRO-Hot-Swap-Mobile-System-Cabinet/dp/B00009ILU0

if you get a motherboard that has a 2nd x8 or x16 slot, you can put an
x4 PCI-express card in that for lots more SATA/SAS channels if you feel
the need to really expand. I wouldn't put more than 4 SATA ports on a
PCI-E x1 slot.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Slack-Moehrle

Hi John,

>> So you are saying a full fledged PC with an 8-port sata mobo is a better solution.>

>a bunch of vendors sell 5-in-3 sata hotswap adapters that hold 5 SATA
>drives in 3 HH external bays of a jumbo tower chassis. they seem to run
>about $100. each drive bay has its own sata port on the back of these.

>example of one of these,
>http://www.amazon.com/SUPERMICRO-Hot-Swap-Mobile-System-Cabinet/dp/B00009ILU0

So I am confused, where does this go? It is external? Or does it fit inside a full tower case?

-Jason

Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 AM
John R Pierce

Slack-Moehrle wrote:
>> a bunch of vendors sell 5-in-3 sata hotswap adapters that hold 5 SATA
>> drives in 3 HH external bays of a jumbo tower chassis. they seem to run
>> about $100. each drive bay has its own sata port on the back of these.
>>
>> example of one of these,
>> http://www.amazon.com/SUPERMICRO-Hot-Swap-Mobile-System-Cabinet/dp/B00009ILU0
>>

> So I am confused, where does this go? It is external? Or does it fit inside a full tower case?

it fits in the HH 5.25" external bays of a big tower, where you might
put CDs or tape drives. it takes 3 HH 5.25" bays and holds 5 3.5" drives.

use a big tower that has 7 HH bays, and you can have a DVD and 2 of
those 5 drive bays.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Stephen Harris

> 1. Get a good size case, mobo, processor, etc and put 8 hard drives it in and RAID them. (yes an 8 port SATA mobo). Running CentOS.
>
> or
>
> 2. Get an eSATA enclosure that has room for 8 or 10 drives and just connect it to box?

My recommendation is the 2nd option. I ran the first for a couple of years
and was always suffering disk failures because you really really need good
air-flow to keep that many disks cool.

I recently got a Sans Digital TowerRAID TR8M-B - 8 Bay SATA to eSATA; this
shows up as two buses on the PC (which CentOS sees nicely) with 4 devices
on each bus and I can run RAID5 and LVM on the disks as normal.

(partial output of lsscsi)

[6:0:0:0] disk ATA ST31000340AS SD15 /dev/sdc
[6:1:0:0] disk ATA ST31000340AS SD15 /dev/sdd
[6:2:0:0] disk ATA ST31000340AS SD15 /dev/sde
[6:3:0:0] disk ATA ST31000340AS AD14 /dev/sdf
[7:0:0:0] disk ATA ST31000340AS AD14 /dev/sdg

These are the 5 disks I have in the TowerRAID

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 02-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Les Mikesell

John R Pierce wrote:
>,
>>
>> Yes, I looked into this and I was looking for a solution with a large number of drives, but at a good cost point.
>>
>> So you are saying a full fledged PC with an 8-port sata mobo is a better solution.
>>

> yeah, its cheaper to go direct connect internal jbod. make sure the
> drives get plenty of airflow, don't pack them too close together.
>
> a bunch of vendors sell 5-in-3 sata hotswap adapters that hold 5 SATA
> drives in 3 HH external bays of a jumbo tower chassis. they seem to run
> about $100. each drive bay has its own sata port on the back of these.
>
> example of one of these,
> http://www.amazon.com/SUPERMICRO-Hot-Swap-Mobile-System-Cabinet/dp/B00009ILU0
>
> if you get a motherboard that has a 2nd x8 or x16 slot, you can put an
> x4 PCI-express card in that for lots more SATA/SAS channels if you feel
> the need to really expand. I wouldn't put more than 4 SATA ports on a
> PCI-E x1 slot.

There are other brands/sizes of those trayless hotswap enclosures too. I've
used a unit from Startech and swapped one of the drives out of a raid weekly for
an off-site rotation without any trouble for over a year now. You do need a big
tower case that could take 5" drives all the way down, but it's nicer than
having cables and power off to an odd-sized external box and very handy to not
have to open the case to trade drives once it is set up. If this is a
single-user PC or even a media server for a few people at once you probably
don't have to worry about extreme speed issues and would get along fine with an
8-port PCI-X or -E card.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com