Old 02-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Default Limiting bandwidth

Greetings,

Scenario:
Centos box with eth1 (10.0.0.0/24) and eth0 (192.168.0.0/24)
segment on eth0 has access to full bandwidth of uplink

Both are on 100mbps switches

Requirements:
bandwith on segment on eth1 needs to be throttled to different speeds - say 32, 64, 128kbps and the such. Required for application performance testing purposes.

As usual my girlfriend google is very verbose. (Sometimes I feel there should be utility like googlegrep or something : ) I am going through the excellent documentation from:

http://linux-ip.net/articles/Traffic-Control-HOWTO

LARTC.org

Its all a bit too much for me to handle at this point in time and I am a bit pressed for time.

Yes, havent worked much on tc / iproute2. In fact not much knowledge in networks in general.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Regards,

Rajagopal

Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Bob McConnell

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Scenario:
> Centos box with eth1 (10.0.0.0/24) and eth0 (192.168.0.0/24)
> segment on eth0 has access to full bandwidth of uplink
> Both are on 100mbps switches
>
> Requirements:
> bandwith on segment on eth1 needs to be throttled to different speeds - say
> 32, 64, 128kbps and the such. Required for application performance testing
> purposes.

The best tool I have found for this is DummyNet, which is built into
FreeBSD. It was created to test protocol designs then adapted for
traffic management. However, I am not aware of any ports into Linux.

<http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/dummynet/>
<http://cs.baylor.edu/~donahoo/tools/dummy/tutorial.htm>

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 02-20-2010, 01:52 PM
News

Il 20/02/2010 13.25, Bob McConnell ha scritto:
> Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Scenario:
>> Centos box with eth1 (10.0.0.0/24) and eth0 (192.168.0.0/24)
>> segment on eth0 has access to full bandwidth of uplink
>> Both are on 100mbps switches
>>
>> Requirements:
>> bandwith on segment on eth1 needs to be throttled to different speeds - say
>> 32, 64, 128kbps and the such. Required for application performance testing
>> purposes.
>
> The best tool I have found for this is DummyNet, which is built into
> FreeBSD. It was created to test protocol designs then adapted for
> traffic management. However, I am not aware of any ports into Linux.
>
> <http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/dummynet/>
> <http://cs.baylor.edu/~donahoo/tools/dummy/tutorial.htm>
>
> Bob McConnell
> N2SPP

I try to use shorewall for this.
Amedeo

Old 02-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:

> The best tool I have found for this is DummyNet, which is built into
> FreeBSD. It was created to test protocol designs then adapted for
> traffic management. However, I am not aware of any ports into Linux.
>
> *<http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/dummynet/>
> *<http://cs.baylor.edu/~donahoo/tools/dummy/tutorial.htm>

Thanks, Bob and news at scasrl.it. I will check them out.

Regards,

Rajagopal

Old 02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Bazy

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan
<raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Scenario:
> Centos box with eth1 (10.0.0.0/24) and eth0 (192.168.0.0/24)
> segment on eth0 has access to full bandwidth of uplink
> Both are on 100mbps switches
>
> Requirements:
> bandwith on segment on eth1 needs to be throttled to different speeds - say
> 32, 64, 128kbps and the such. Required for application performance testing
> purposes.
>
> As usual my girlfriend google is very verbose. (Sometimes I feel there
> should be utility like googlegrep or something : ) I am going through the
> excellent documentation from:
>
> http://linux-ip.net/articles/Traffic-Control-HOWTO
> LARTC.org
>
> Its all a bit too much for me to handle at this point in time and I am a bit
> pressed for time.
>
> Yes, havent worked much on tc / iproute2. In fact not much knowledge in
> networks in general.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Regards,
>
> Rajagopal

Hello Raja,

Take a look at xml-htb. It creates tc rules for you, it's actually
very easy. http://sourceforge.net/projects/xml-htb/

Bazy

Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Bazy <bazy84@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan

<raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,

Thanks Bazy, News and Bob.

I will take a look into each option.

In the meanwhile I too have stumbled upon one which is more or less my scnario.

http://www.adamsinfo.com/bandwith-limiting-with-linux-tc-and-iproute2/

Only that I will have maybe one or two desktops which are used as test machines.

Thanks again for all your replies,

Regards,

Rajagopal