Old 02-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Robert Spangler

Default CentOS and Bash History

Hi,

I was wondering if bash or inputrc has changed form CentOS v4 to CentOS v5?
Reason I ask is at the bash cli I can type, for example 'su' and then with
the up and down arrows I can scroll through my history and will only see the
commands that begin with 'su'. In CentOS 5 this isn't the case.

I have added some code to my inputrc file to make this work in CentOS 4 as
follows:

# Search History for previous used commands
"M-[A":history-search-backward
"M-[B":history-search-forward
"M-[C":forward-char
"M-[D":backward-char

And this works well in CentOS 4 but I cannot get it to work in CentOS 5.
Anyone know why or what I have to change?

--

Regards
Robert

Linux User #296285
http://counter.li.org

Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/19/2010 11:30 AM, Robert Spangler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if bash or inputrc has changed form CentOS v4 to CentOS v5?
> Reason I ask is at the bash cli I can type, for example 'su' and then with
> the up and down arrows I can scroll through my history and will only see the
> commands that begin with 'su'. In CentOS 5 this isn't the case.
>
> I have added some code to my inputrc file to make this work in CentOS 4 as
> follows:
>
> # Search History for previous used commands
> "M-[A":history-search-backward
> "M-[B":history-search-forward
> "M-[C":forward-char
> "M-[D":backward-char
>
> And this works well in CentOS 4 but I cannot get it to work in CentOS 5.
> Anyone know why or what I have to change?

I usually just hit ctl-R for the reverse-i-search function. It's a
little annoying for people who don't use emacs, but it works.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-19-2010, 04:47 PM

Les wrote:
> On 2/19/2010 11:30 AM, Robert Spangler wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering if bash or inputrc has changed form CentOS v4 to CentOS
>> v5? Reason I ask is at the bash cli I can type, for example 'su' and then
>> with the up and down arrows I can scroll through my history and will
>> only see the commands that begin with 'su'. In CentOS 5 this isn't the
>> case.
<snip>
> I usually just hit ctl-R for the reverse-i-search function. It's a
> little annoying for people who don't use emacs, but it works.

Hey, I know some emacs: ^x^q

mark "alt.religion.editors"

Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Dave

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Robert Spangler
<mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> I was wondering if bash or inputrc has changed form CentOS v4 to CentOS v5?

I've noticed some similar but not identical oddness. My most annoying
symptom is if I copy a command from somewhere and paste it into my
terminal window, it executes fine, but if I then hit up arrow to
repeat/edit it, I get the command previous to the pasted command, as
if the pasted command never happened. I assume some of my old bash
tweaks have gone stale, haven't had enough patience to track it down
yet.

Dave

Old 02-19-2010, 07:30 PM

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Robert Spangler
> <mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
>> I was wondering if bash or inputrc has changed form CentOS v4 to CentOS
>> v5?
>
> I've noticed some similar but not identical oddness. My most annoying
> symptom is if I copy a command from somewhere and paste it into my
> terminal window, it executes fine, but if I then hit up arrow to
> repeat/edit it, I get the command previous to the pasted command, as
> if the pasted command never happened. I assume some of my old bash
> tweaks have gone stale, haven't had enough patience to track it down
> yet.

I haven't seen that in CentOS 5.

On the other hand, the ->bug<- that drives me crazy in X is when I'm
writing something, like an email in t-bird, and the cursor shows at the
left of the window, but is actually somewhere else on the line, and even
locating the cursor using the mouse doesn't change this.... And yes, it's
*very* repeatable.

mark

Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/19/2010 2:24 PM, Dave wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Robert Spangler
> <mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
>> I was wondering if bash or inputrc has changed form CentOS v4 to CentOS v5?
>
> I've noticed some similar but not identical oddness. My most annoying
> symptom is if I copy a command from somewhere and paste it into my
> terminal window, it executes fine, but if I then hit up arrow to
> repeat/edit it, I get the command previous to the pasted command, as
> if the pasted command never happened. I assume some of my old bash
> tweaks have gone stale, haven't had enough patience to track it down
> yet.

I've never seen that - and it doesn't make much sense because the
character-based shell should have no way of distinguishing between typed
and pasted text.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Les Mikesell

>> I've noticed some similar but not identical oddness. My most annoying
>> symptom is if I copy a command from somewhere and paste it into my
>> terminal window, it executes fine, but if I then hit up arrow to
>> repeat/edit it, I get the command previous to the pasted command, as
>> if the pasted command never happened. I assume some of my old bash
>> tweaks have gone stale, haven't had enough patience to track it down
>> yet.
>
> I haven't seen that in CentOS 5.
>
> On the other hand, the ->bug<- that drives me crazy in X is when I'm
> writing something, like an email in t-bird, and the cursor shows at the
> left of the window, but is actually somewhere else on the line, and even
> locating the cursor using the mouse doesn't change this.... And yes, it's
> *very* repeatable.

That sounds like a bug in your video driver. I never see that, but I'm
almost always running via freenx and an NX client that is usually
running on windows or a Mac.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 PM

> On 2/19/2010 2:30 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed some similar but not identical oddness. My most annoying
>>> symptom is if I copy a command from somewhere and paste it into my
>>> terminal window, it executes fine, but if I then hit up arrow to
>>> repeat/edit it, I get the command previous to the pasted command, as
>>> if the pasted command never happened. I assume some of my old bash
>>> tweaks have gone stale, haven't had enough patience to track it down
>>> yet.
>>
>> I haven't seen that in CentOS 5.
>>
>> On the other hand, the ->bug<- that drives me crazy in X is when I'm
>> writing something, like an email in t-bird, and the cursor shows at the
>> left of the window, but is actually somewhere else on the line, and even
>> locating the cursor using the mouse doesn't change this.... And yes,
>> it's *very* repeatable.
>
> That sounds like a bug in your video driver. I never see that, but I'm
> almost always running via freenx and an NX client that is usually
> running on windows or a Mac.

I'd think it's the video driver - I've got an older nvidia card, here at
work, but I see it sometimes (I think) on my system at home, with a
completely different card.

mark

Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Robert Spangler
<mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if bash or inputrc has changed form CentOS v4 to CentOS v5?
> Reason I ask is at the bash cli I can type, for example 'su' and then with
> the up and down arrows I can scroll through my history and will only see the
> commands that begin with 'su'. *In CentOS 5 this isn't the case.
>
> I have added some code to my inputrc file to make this work in CentOS 4 as
> follows:
>
> # Search History for previous used commands
> "M-[A":history-search-backward
> "M-[B":history-search-forward
> "M-[C":forward-char
> "M-[D":backward-char
>
> And this works well in CentOS 4 but I cannot get it to work in CentOS 5.
> Anyone know why or what I have to change?

You might try doing: bind -P|grep history

Not sure which option it is, but you can try binding each entry until
you find the one that does what you're looking for.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Robert Spangler

On Friday 19 February 2010 12:42, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 2/19/2010 11:30 AM, Robert Spangler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if bash or inputrc has changed form CentOS v4 to CentOS
> > v5? Reason I ask is at the bash cli I can type, for example 'su' and
> > then with the up and down arrows I can scroll through my history and
> > will only see the commands that begin with 'su'. In CentOS 5 this isn't
> > the case.
> >
> > I have added some code to my inputrc file to make this work in CentOS 4
> > as follows:
> >
> > # Search History for previous used commands
> > "M-[A":history-search-backward
> > "M-[B":history-search-forward
> > "M-[C":forward-char
> > "M-[D":backward-char
> >
> > And this works well in CentOS 4 but I cannot get it to work in CentOS 5.
> > Anyone know why or what I have to change?
>
> I usually just hit ctl-R for the reverse-i-search function. It's a
> little annoying for people who don't use emacs, but it works.

Yeah, the above is a lot simpler and faster.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux User #296285