Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Slack-Moehrle

Default Server HD failed and I think I am hosed

a hd in my server failed.

I noticed when I went to SSH in and get a copy of some files in /var/www/html
I tried to tar the files and I was told No, read-only file system.

I restarted and tried running FSCK manually (without -a or -p) and I get inode errors, short reads, etc.

I tried booting to my CentOS 53 install DVD. I do linux rescue and I get to where it wants to know where CentOS images are. I select local CD-ROM and it just spits it out at me and tells me to try someplace else. Even though I booted from the CD!

I am not sure what else to do. I dont think I can mount this on my macBook to do anything. But I really need just the data from /var/www/html. I have a backup that is a week old, but I know changes were made late last week that I would like to not have to do again....

Where is my backup of the changes I made? Well my SSD drive failed in my laptop and I dont think I have them...

Can anyone provide advice as to what to do next?

Also, what would have caused this all of the sudden? This box has been running fine for months.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Alan Hodgson

wrote:
> Also, what would have caused this all of the sudden? This box has been
> running fine for months.

Every hard drive will fail eventually. Some take days. Some take decades.
Most fail somewhere in between those extremes. But every single one of them
will eventually die.

That's why backups and RAID are both good ideas.

As for what to do, you can put the drive in any other linux box or boot a
live CD from any distro and take a look at it. Attempts to fsck may screw
it up more, though. Probably best to mount whatever's left read only and
see what you can find.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Steve Brooks

Do not use fsck on faulty hardware.

I would remove the drive attach it to another linux box with free storage
space on a file system larger than that of the whole damaged drive. Use
"ddrescue" to rebuild as much of the failed drive as possible them mount
the image produced from ddrescue and copy all you can from that.

Best Wishes,

Steve

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Slack-Moehrle wrote:

> a hd in my server failed.
>
> I noticed when I went to SSH in and get a copy of some files in /var/www/html
> I tried to tar the files and I was told No, read-only file system.
>
> I restarted and tried running FSCK manually (without -a or -p) and I get inode errors, short reads, etc.
>
> I tried booting to my CentOS 53 install DVD. I do linux rescue and I get to where it wants to know where CentOS images are. I select local CD-ROM and it just spits it out at me and tells me to try someplace else. Even though I booted from the CD!
>
> I am not sure what else to do. I dont think I can mount this on my macBook to do anything. But I really need just the data from /var/www/html. I have a backup that is a week old, but I know changes were made late last week that I would like to not have to do again....
>
> Where is my backup of the changes I made? Well my SSD drive failed in my laptop and I dont think I have them...
>
> Can anyone provide advice as to what to do next?
>
> Also, what would have caused this all of the sudden? This box has been running fine for months.

Dr Stephen Brooks

http://www-solar.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/
Solar MHD Theory Group
Tel :: 01334 463735
Fax :: 01334 463748
E-mail :: steveb@mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
---------------------------------------
Mathematical Institute
North Haugh
University of St. Andrews
St Andrews, Fife KY16 9SS
SCOTLAND

Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Eero Volotinen

> a hd in my server failed.
>
> I noticed when I went to SSH in and get a copy of some files in /var/www/html
> I tried to tar the files and I was told No, read-only file system.
>
> I restarted and tried running FSCK manually (without -a or -p) and I get inode errors, short reads, etc.
>
> I tried booting to my CentOS 53 install DVD. I do linux rescue and I get to where it wants to know where CentOS images are. I select local CD-ROM and it just spits it out at me and tells me to try someplace else. Even though I booted from the CD!
>
> I am not sure what else to do. I dont think I can mount this on my macBook to do anything. But I really need just the data from /var/www/html. I have a backup that is a week old, but I know changes were made late last week that I would like to not have to do again....
>
> Where is my backup of the changes I made? Well my SSD drive failed in my laptop and I dont think I have them...
>
> Can anyone provide advice as to what to do next?

Well, you can use dd_rescue to copy contents of disk to another disk
and then mount it
(or use expensive data rescue company)

> Also, what would have caused this all of the sudden? This box has been running fine for months.

Well, do you think that computer hardware lives forever?

--
Eero

Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

>> Also, what would have caused this all of the sudden? This box has been running fine for months.
>
> Well, do you think that computer hardware lives forever?

They don't? /me stares at 486dx with a working floppy drive and working
floppies from the eighties and early nineties.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:48 PM

>>> Also, what would have caused this all of the sudden? This box has been
>>> running fine for months.
>>
>> Well, do you think that computer hardware lives forever?
>>

> They don't? /me stares at 486dx with a working floppy drive and working
> floppies from the eighties and early nineties.

And I deal with hardware with drives, and memory, and the occasional m/b
failing at less than five years old. Depends on the manufacturer, the q/c
they had at the time it was manufactured, and the day of the week, as the
old line from car buyers goes.

mark "make mine on a Wed, please"

Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 PM

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Well, do you think that computer hardware lives forever?
>>>
>> They don't? /me stares at 486dx with a working floppy drive and working
>> floppies from the eighties and early nineties.
>
> And I deal with hardware with drives, and memory, and the occasional m/b
> failing at less than five years old. Depends on the manufacturer, the q/c
> they had at the time it was manufactured, and the day of the week, as the
> old line from car buyers goes.
>
> mark "make mine on a Wed, please"

Haha. This is getting OT but stuff today (for the past decade) do tend
to die around the end of warranty if not earlier. No greedy^Wsane
company makes anything that lasts anymore.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/19/2010 8:48 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>>> Well, do you think that computer hardware lives forever?
>>>

>> They don't? /me stares at 486dx with a working floppy drive and working
>> floppies from the eighties and early nineties.
>
> And I deal with hardware with drives, and memory, and the occasional m/b
> failing at less than five years old. Depends on the manufacturer, the q/c
> they had at the time it was manufactured, and the day of the week, as the
> old line from car buyers goes.

I think of mine about the same way as light bulbs. They'll work for
years on the average but it's pretty much random when any individual one
will go.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com