Old 02-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Niki Kovacs

Default x86_64 package mess ?

Hi,

I just installed CentOS 5.4 on a 64bit-server. It's the first time I
work with this sort of hardware. Doing rpm -qa | sort | less shows that
most of the packages seem to be installed twice: once for i386
architecture, and then again for x86_64.

Is this normal? Or did I mess up something during install (thought I
wouldn't know what)?

Niki

Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed CentOS 5.4 on a 64bit-server. It's the first time I
> work with this sort of hardware. Doing rpm -qa | sort | less shows that
> most of the packages seem to be installed twice: once for i386
> architecture, and then again for x86_64.
>
> Is this normal? Or did I mess up something during install (thought I
> wouldn't know what)?

There is a FAQ about it:

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-357346ff0bf7c14b0849c3bcce39677aaca528e9

Akemi

Old 02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed CentOS 5.4 on a 64bit-server. It's the first time I
> work with this sort of hardware. Doing rpm -qa | sort | less shows that
> most of the packages seem to be installed twice: once for i386
> architecture, and then again for x86_64.
>
> Is this normal? Or did I mess up something during install (thought I
> wouldn't know what)?
>
> Niki
Hi

I think this is OK. Some programs (32bit ones) expects to find 32bit
libraries, so just to be on the safe side (and a little bit lazy),and if
I have the options, I install for both architectures.

Regards

mg.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Bowie Bailey

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed CentOS 5.4 on a 64bit-server. It's the first time I
> work with this sort of hardware. Doing rpm -qa | sort | less shows that
> most of the packages seem to be installed twice: once for i386
> architecture, and then again for x86_64.
>
> Is this normal? Or did I mess up something during install (thought I
> wouldn't know what)?

This is normal and almost everyone (including me) asks about it when
they install their first 64-bit system.

The 32-bit packages are installed for backward-compatibility with any
32-bit programs you may want to run.

--
Bowie

Old 02-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Niki Kovacs

Akemi Yagi a écrit :

> There is a FAQ about it:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-357346ff0bf7c14b0849c3bcce39677aaca528e9

Thanks. That did the trick.

Niki

Old 02-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> The 32-bit packages are installed for backward-compatibility with any
> 32-bit programs you may want to run.

Regarding security, is it less safe to have these *.i386 packages
installed? (esp. on a server)
(according to the principle that "less is always more secure")

Old 02-18-2010, 02:55 PM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> The 32-bit packages are installed for backward-compatibility with any
>> 32-bit programs you may want to run.
>
> Regarding security, is it less safe to have these *.i386 packages
> installed? (esp. on a server)
> (according to the principle that "less is always more secure")
Hi

I'm not sure if it's that simple. Although this seems to be a good
general principle, it will depend how expose it's the system, or if you
(or the sysadmin) do the updates, etc.

Regards

mg.