Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Mathieu Baudier

Default how to push the bounds and get newer packages for centos 5.4?

> I use epel (has a lot of different stuff but generally does not have newer
> versions of standard packages), rpmforge (sometimes has newer stuff and may
> cause some conflicts) remi (up to date ocsinventory-server, php, mysql), and
> opennms (Sun JVM 1.5 and opennms). *Normally I leave epel enabled in the yum

We use as well:

- EPEL: their missions statement is that they will NEVER update base:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#Does_EPEL_replace_packages_provided_within_Red _Hat_Enterprise_Linux_or_layered_products.3F

- RpmForge: but we rather tend to enable it and use includepkgs in the
repo file to add the packages we are interested in (in order to get
their updates)

- ElRepo: useful for drivers for a desktop install

- for all other stuff we tend to rebuild SRPMS picked-up at different
places and maintain our own repositories (using createrepo to generate
the metadata, and putting them on a standard httpd server, this is not
a big deal).

Good sources for SRPMS are
- the personal repo of Karanbir: http://centos.karan.org/
- older fedora distributions (going down from the latest to Fedora
6), sometimes requires a bit of hacking of the spec files:
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist
- finally, looking in RPM search engines for the proper SRPM: like
http://rpm.pbone.net/

Then there are also "specialized" repositories that may address your needs.

Some that I heard of but not really tested:
- Latest PHP and Python (you may be especially interested in this
one!): http://iuscommunity.org/packages/
(there was some arguments around it in the docs mailing list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/centos-docs@centos.org/msg03260.html)
- PostgreSQL: http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/
- etc.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Les Mikesell wrote on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:02:20 -0600:

> remi (up to date ocsinventory-server, php, mysql)

The problem with remi's nice (!) and recommended repo is that he just
builds the latest php (5.3.x). That may be possible for 20% of
installations, the other 80% may not work on it. I found the solution for
5.2.x in using the ius repo. It also has a convincing concept of not
replacing the base php rpms. They have named their packages different, so
that there wont be a conflict. And it works.

Kai

Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,