Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Les Mikesell

Default how to push the bounds and get newer packages for centos 5.4?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i've just started looking after a (virtual) centos 5.4 server that's
> hosted at rackspace and, unsurprisingly, it was set up with all the
> standard defaults. part of the work i'll be doing involves php and,
> as i read it, the standard php version with centos 5.4 is php-5.1.
>
> if i *wanted* to move up to a more recent version (say, php-5.3),
> obviously, i'd need to go outside the limits of the standard centos
> yum repos. in my travels, i ran across this site:
>
> http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en
>
> with the corresponding instructions:
>
> wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm
> wget http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-5.rpm
> rpm -Uvh remi-release-5*.rpm epel-release-5*.rpm
>
> i'm suitably leery of 3rd-party repos but i recall that someone else
> (on this list?) recommended that site. and i can see that it has an
> x86_64 version of php-5.3 ready to go for centos 5.4:
>
> http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/5/remi/x86_64/repoview/php.html
>
> what are the recommendations for well-respected 3rd-party repos for
> centos 5.4 if i want to get newer packages? the centos 5.4 system in
> question is purely an internal development system so i have the
> freedom to customize it to some extent if newer packages are called
> for. thanks.

I use epel (has a lot of different stuff but generally does not have newer
versions of standard packages), rpmforge (sometimes has newer stuff and may
cause some conflicts) remi (up to date ocsinventory-server, php, mysql), and
opennms (Sun JVM 1.5 and opennms). Normally I leave epel enabled in the yum
configuration and disable the others. Then I can
yum --enablerepo=xxx install somepackage
and normally not pick up conflicting dependencies, and do the same for updates
after doing a full update from the base and epel repos. It is probably still
possible to break something this way but it seems safer than trying to make yum
guess where to get things.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Gary Greene

On 2/18/10 1:31 PM, "Kai Schaetzl" <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:02:20 -0600:
>
>> remi (up to date ocsinventory-server, php, mysql)
>
> The problem with remi's nice (!) and recommended repo is that he just
> builds the latest php (5.3.x). That may be possible for 20% of
> installations, the other 80% may not work on it. I found the solution for
> 5.2.x in using the ius repo. It also has a convincing concept of not
> replacing the base php rpms. They have named their packages different, so
> that there wont be a conflict. And it works.
>
> Kai

I do much the same for Perl stuff at work (I build a custom build of Perl
and friends so as not to break my system Perl with cpan....)