Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 AM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Default best practice: how to setup a central "network installation server"?

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to setup a central installation server, but haven't done this
> before, so I want to find out what would be best practices for this?
>
> The server I have already runs as a central repo, which is updated from
> one or our local centos mirrors, and the other CentOS servers (both i386
> & x64), as well as CentOS VPS's get their updates from this server.
>
> But, now I want to allow a client to perform a quick network
> installation, using either a netbood CD, or preferably with the server's
> network bootrom. I understand this can be done with bootp, or am I on
> the wrong track?
>
> the server is a general file server and also acts as our in-office
> internet gateway, and has Webmin installed for convenience sake. I don't
> know if this is of any use?
>
> Generally we would be (re)installing CentOS servers & desktops, but I
> guess it could be useful for other distro's like Fedora Core / Debian /
> FreeBSD? / etc. What would be a good option to go for, or could someone
> point me to a good documentation? Doing a google search I found a lot of
> instructions on how to perform a network installation on the client
> PC's, but not how to configure the server. Maybe I used the wrong key words?
>
> --

Hi

I'm starting to play with Cobbler. Besides to central installation
server, it also supports other distributions, like SuSE and Debian
(Ubuntu?).

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/

Regards

mg.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 AM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> kickstart file, if you are familiar with text based configurations?
>
> Is kickstart REALLY the only way?
>
> How do I configure the server so that the client can use network boot,
> without a CD?

Hi

You can use PXE. You have to set up a tftp and a DHCP server. Sometimes
you have to enable PXE in the BIOS - I always to do this with Dell machines.

Regards

mg.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

Have you looked at Cobbler and KOAN? Great tools...

--
Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale

252-478-8087 (Home)