Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default best practice: how to setup a central "network installation server"?

Hi,*
I want to setup a central installation server, but haven't done this before, so I want to find out what would be best practices for this?
The server I have already runs as a central repo, which is updated from one or our local centos mirrors, and the other CentOS servers (both i386 & x64), as well as CentOS VPS's get their updates from this server.*

But, now I want to allow a client to perform a quick network installation, using either a netbood CD, or*preferably*with the server's network bootrom. I understand this can be done with bootp, or am I on the wrong track?

the server is a general file server and also acts as our in-office internet gateway, and has Webmin installed for convenience sake. I don't know if this is of any use?
Generally we would be (re)installing CentOS servers & desktops, but I guess it could be useful for other distro's like Fedora Core / Debian / FreeBSD? / etc. What would be a good option to go for, or could someone point me to a good documentation? Doing a google search I found a lot of instructions on how to perform a network installation on the client PC's, but not how to configure the server. Maybe I used the wrong key words?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573

Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/18 Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com>:
> Hi,
> I want to setup a central installation server, but haven't done this before,
> so I want to find out what would be best practices for this?
> The server I have already runs as a central repo, which is updated from one
> or our local centos mirrors, and the other CentOS servers (both i386 & x64),
> as well as CentOS VPS's get their updates from this server.
> But, now I want to allow a client to perform a quick network installation,
> using either a netbood CD, or*preferably*with the server's network bootrom.
> I understand this can be done with bootp, or am I on the wrong track?
> the server is a general file server and also acts as our in-office internet
> gateway, and has Webmin installed for convenience sake. I don't know if this
> is of any use?
> Generally we would be (re)installing CentOS servers & desktops, but I guess
> it could be useful for other distro's like Fedora Core / Debian / FreeBSD? /
> etc. What would be a good option to go for, or could someone point me to a
> good documentation? Doing a google search I found a lot of instructions on
> how to perform a network installation on the client PC's, but not how to
> configure the server. Maybe I used the wrong key words?

See the kickstart at :
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-howuse.html

--
Eero

Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:

See the kickstart at :

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-howuse.html

--

Eero

We already use kickstart files, where needed But that doesn't help me with setting up the server environment*

Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Rainer Duffner

Am 18.02.2010 10:00, schrieb Rudi Ahlers:
> Hi,
>
> I want to setup a central installation server, but haven't done this
> before, so I want to find out what would be best practices for this?

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/

Rainer

Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/18 Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com>:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi>
> wrote:
>>

>> See the kickstart at :
>>
>> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-howuse.html
>>
>> --
>> Eero
>>

> We already use kickstart files, where needed But that doesn't help me
> with setting up the server environment

Why not? You can prepare server configuration/installation on
kickstart file, if you are familiar with text based configurations?

--
Eero

Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Rudi Ahlers

kickstart file, if you are familiar with text based configurations?

--

Eero

Is kickstart REALLY the only way?*
How do I configure the server so that the client can use network boot, without a CD?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/18 Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi>
> wrote:
>

>> kickstart file, if you are familiar with text based configurations?
>>
>> --
>> Eero
>>

> Is kickstart REALLY the only way?
> How do I configure the server so that the client can use network boot,
> without a CD?

PXE.

--
Eero

Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Eero Volotinen

See documentation at: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/PXE_Setup

--
Eero

Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Rudi Ahlers

> * * kickstart file, if you are familiar with text based configurations?

> Is kickstart REALLY the only way?

> How do I configure the server so that the client can use network boot,

> without a CD?

Hi

You can use PXE. You have to set up a tftp and a DHCP server. Sometimes

you have to enable PXE in the BIOS - I always to do this with Dell machines.

Regards

mg.

aha, this is what I was look for
thanx *

Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Les Mikesell

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to setup a central installation server, but haven't done this
> before, so I want to find out what would be best practices for this?
>
> The server I have already runs as a central repo, which is updated from
> one or our local centos mirrors, and the other CentOS servers (both i386
> & x64), as well as CentOS VPS's get their updates from this server.
>
> But, now I want to allow a client to perform a quick network
> installation, using either a netbood CD, or preferably with the server's
> network bootrom. I understand this can be done with bootp, or am I on
> the wrong track?
>
> the server is a general file server and also acts as our in-office
> internet gateway, and has Webmin installed for convenience sake. I don't
> know if this is of any use?
>
> Generally we would be (re)installing CentOS servers & desktops, but I
> guess it could be useful for other distro's like Fedora Core / Debian /
> FreeBSD? / etc. What would be a good option to go for, or could someone
> point me to a good documentation? Doing a google search I found a lot of
> instructions on how to perform a network installation on the client
> PC's, but not how to configure the server. Maybe I used the wrong key words?

If you want to do disk cloning (any OS, including windows) or PXE boot into a
running, look at drbl and clonezilla http://drbl.sourceforge.net/. You can find
a yum repository for Centos in the list at http://drbl.sourceforge.net/one4all/.

It has a menu configuration that I think can be made to boot into an installer
but I've never used it that way since our machines are mostly identical and a
lot of them are windows based.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com